Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 594372 times) previous topic - next topic

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #750
"I have given you the option," he says, dismissively.  "On your head be the consequences of your decision."

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #751
"Well I'm convinced", I say, walking towards him, working my buckle.

[Move six spaces from corner of building to D7]

"Here, can you see what the problem is?" [To person A] "Never mind, here, just take the sword."

I take the sword out and hold it out hilt first. One of the claws brushes my skin. It knows.

[Dark Beckoning: charisma plus 2 vs Will. 14 + 10 = 24 vs will. If I hit he takes D6+8 psychic damage and is pulled to F7. Dmg 6+8=14 ]

Reply #752
"Unhand me, debtors," I shout at the two who have seized me, struggling to shrug them off. "I am a priest of Kol Korran! Would you have the currency of your characters judged counterfeit?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  • Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:51:31 AM by Diogenes

Reply #753
[You can actually escape both grabs with a single Move action, with your check made against whichever DC is higher, plus 2 for the second grab.]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #754
The commander's eyes narrow as Valenae's attack slides off him ineffectually.  "Decision made, then," he says.  He does not look regretful.

Poor Oleg struggles against his captors, but they hold fast.  "Kol Korran is a fiction," one of them informs him, matter-of-fact.

Pepper is up!

Reply #755
[Pepper Turn 2]

Minor Action: I assume the Aspect of the Cunning Fox stance [I take only half damage from attacks made against me; whether I hit or miss with my attacks, I can shift 2 squares as a free action]

Action: Clever Shot: 1d20+16 VS AC, 1D10+8 damage, one a hit the target falls prone: 16+16 = 32 vs AC to hit; 1+8 = 9 damage plus the target falls prone.  I shoot the goon in B9 in the face.

Free Action: shift to K10

Passive Perception: based on what they are wearing, what do I know about our assailants?

Huh.  She moved off.  Time to even the odds for the chaplain then.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #756
Minor Action: I assume the Aspect of the Cunning Fox stance [I take only half damage from attacks made against me; whether I hit or miss with my attacks, I can shift 2 squares as a free action]

:colbert:

Aspect of the Cunning Fox
Like a fox, you move with stealth, speed, and cunning. Your foes cannot hope to harm you while you are in motion, and you always keep an open escape route at hand.
At-Will        Primal, Stance
Minor Action      Personal
Effect: You assume a stance, the aspect of the cunning fox. Until the stance ends, you gain the following benefits.
    * You take only half damage from attacks made against you during your turn.
    * Whenever you hit or miss with a melee attack or a ranged attack on your turn, you can take a free action to shift up to 2 squares

[Tiny detail, sorry, lol]
  • Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:19:25 PM by Teshi

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #757
The brute in B9 falls to the ground injured, but the other keeps hold on Oleg.

The commander, seeing that his rash subordinate seems to have Mari occupied, moves off to deal with Valenae.  He draws his greatsword, and, speaking a word of power in some otherwordly tongue, cleaves at him, doing 19 thunder damage and knocking Val prone

While one of the brutes clings tight to Oleg, the other stands up, draws his crossbow, and draws a bead on Pepper.  "Steady, brother!" says the one holding Oleg says, and the one aiming seems bolstered.  His bolt slams squarely into Pepper's shoulder, doing 16 damage.

Mari, Astra!
  • Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:28:40 PM by Teshi

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #758
Passive Perception: based on what they are wearing, what do I know about our assailants?

Their clothing seems almost aggressively nondescript - middling cost, boring colors, loose cuts.  Their cloaks are clearly designed to conceal their unadorned armor and arms.  The weapons look military grade, but do not have any makers' marks or martial insignia that you can see.  They are warmly clothed and booted - ready to be out in the elements - and perhaps a bit too new and fine for this backwater part of the cash-strapped nation of Karrnath. 

Reply #759
[Current HP: 31/31, after ongoing damage.

Minor: Bless Weapon. Until the end of the encounter, I gain +1 power bonus to attack rolls with my whip, it deals an extra 1d6 radiant damage on a hit, and scores a critical hit on a roll of 18-20 against enemies vulnerable to radiant damage.
Move: shift to L8. Stealth check to hide: 15 + 16 = 31.
Standard: charge attack against A, ending in G7. Whip is a reach weapon, so I can attack from there, and I can use Ardent Strike in place of an MBA on a charge.

Attack: 8 + 9 - 2 [aura] + 2 [CA] + 1 [charge] + 1 [bless] = 19 vs Reflex.
Damage: 1 + 3 [cha] + 1 [enh]  = 5 psychic + 5 [bless] radiant damage, and A is subject to my divine sanction (marked, takes 6 radiant damage if he makes an attack which doesn't include me) until the end of my next turn. No effect on a miss.

Action Point: Frost of Letherna. Close Burst 2, so only A is affected. It's an implement attack, hence the different bonuses and lack of Bless.

Attack: 20 + 8 - 2 [aura] = 26 vs Fortitude.
Damage:  10 + 3 [cha] + 1 [enh] = 14 cold damage, plus 8 [crit] radiant damage. The area of the burst is now a zone that lasts until the end of my next turn; any enemy who starts their turn in the zone or enters it is slowed until the end of their next turn.

Save vs ongoing damage: 1]

Reply #760
I glance uncertainly between the corporal and the window next to me for a long moment, trying to get a quick peek through the curtains, then curse and heave at the sill.  Ghost's there now to distract the big guy, however the fuck she got there, and from the sounds of fighting inside... captain might be all on his own against gods know how many.

I brush the curtains aside as I open the window, taking only a second to survey the situation, then charge through with a yell to draw everyone's attention, landing on top of the table and slashing at the guy holding Olegov.  A little disoriented from my entrance, I miss entirely, but bare my teeth in a grin and make a little come on, then beckoning motion at him anyway.

[Minor: Open window
Minor: Mark of the Vigilante stance - can mark things I hit with non-fighter powers, gain +2 power bonus to defenses against OAs from moving
Standard: Charge to C9, attacking D8 with Threatening Rush (as allowed by the power in place of MBA)

Attack: 2 + 11 + 1 (charge) = 14 vs AC
Guy in D8 is marked, takes -2 to attacks that don't include me, etc.

I don't take an OA from moving past the guy in B9 thanks to my amulet.]
  • Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 09:52:17 PM by jussr

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #761
Mari's charge peters out as the commander twists easily out of the way, but her follow-up attack hits.  He endures the blast stonily, but you can tell it hurt him.

The brute looks initially impressed by Astra's dramatic entrance, and nearly disappointed when she merely bounces off his armor.

Warlike B pauses for a moment to study the zone, using her better judgment despite her desire to attack.  Coming to some conclusion, she wheels about to chase Mari, running.  When she catches up, she jabs at Mari with her glowing spear, doing 14 radiant damage [Martin, adjust for ghost] and knocking Mari prone, despite the hasty, winded attack.  [By running, B has granted combat advantage against herself.  It is also still the case that anyone starting their turn in B's aura 1 will take -2 to their attack rolls and all defenses until their next turn.]

[I believe the map is correct now.  Let me know if anything needs fixed.]

Valenae, Oleg!

Reply #762
"Ghost, the fuck is all that?" I demand, sparing a glance for the mess she made of the place.

Reply #763
"You leave me no choice but to demonstrate that Kol Korran is no fiction. Unless you mean a useful legal fiction like corporate personhood, or something abstract like markets. Yes, markets! Feel his Invisible Hand!"

I grasp Coinstriker from my belt and swing it in a flashing gold arc. Glowing currency symbols settle upon Astra and other nearby allies.

Reply #764
[Awesome, thanks!  Astra's new defenses for the encounter:
AC 25
Fort 24
Refl 22
Will 22]

Reply #765
"Ghost, the fuck is all that?" I demand, sparing a glance for the mess she made of the place.

"Ice," I reply. "Only affects those l choose."

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #766
"You leave me no choice but to demonstrate that Kol Korran is no fiction. Unless you mean a useful legal fiction like corporate personhood, or something abstract like markets. Yes, markets! Feel his Invisible Hand!"

I grasp Coinstriker from my belt and swing it in a flashing gold arc. Glowing currency symbols settle upon Astra and other nearby allies.

[Does this go through walls?]

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #767
I look up at the grinning fool that just hit me.

"That was good," I say,  "I felt that. Wait here, I'll be right back"

I disappear, still lying on the ground....

...and reappear beside Mari at G8. I slam towards the angry woman (B).

[Basic melee attack after fey step as per Eladrin Swordmage Advance. Using Slam on B as my basic attack: 17 + 9 -2 (prone) = 24 vs reflex. Dmg if hit 1D10 + 9, 7 + 9 = 16 and B is pushed back one space]

I turn away from her and look at the thug holding Oleg.

"Hey you! Holding my accountant! Come here a moment, I have something to show you!"

[Beckoning him: 11 + 10 - 2 = 19 vs Will. Dmg if hit: 3 + 8 = 11 and he is dragged away from Oleg to F8]
  • Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 06:48:35 AM by Aden

Reply #768
[Pepper Turn 3]

Still Clever Fox stance.

Standard: Attack: Rapid Shot:  -2 to attack rolls but I can shoot two targets.  1D20-2+16 = 18-2+16 = 32; 18-2+16 = 32 (rolled 18 twice); damage 1d10+8 = 9+8 = 17 and 7+8 = 16.  I shoot each of the goons in their faces.

Movement: I am going to duck down behind the counter.  I suppose that's becoming prone?  Or is that a stealth?  Stealth: 1d20+14: 11+14 = 25 to hide.

The bolt lodged in my shoulder burns with an old familiarity and my green eyes blaze with rage.  Fuck you.  And.  Fuck you too. I curse silently to myself as I fire rapidly at the faces of the two idiots.   Then I drop behind the counter.  No need to stand there like a raw recruit waiting to get shot again.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #769
"The fuck was that?" the thug holding Oleg says, and the other thug chides him, "Language."  Valenae's attempt at mind control falls flat, although his attack on B had landed true.

Oleg's first blow connects, though, with a resounding thunk.  Both of Pepper's shots connect as well.  The thugs reel.

The commander, A, fights his way through the ice to F6, and with a tremendous swing of his greatsword cleaves into Mari for 18 damage [Martin can adjust for ghost].  He doesn't look particularly triumphant about this - just a man doing his job.

C2 stows his crossbow and draws his own greatsword, and strikes at Astra, cutting her for 15 damage.  C1, looking less indulgent of Oleg than he had a few minutes ago, draws his sword as well and attempts to hack at the dwarf, but the blow glances harmlessly off of Oleg's armor.

[Sorry, I don't have time to update the map - if someone else can, that's super, otherwise I will this evening!]

Reply #770
[I... think with Rapid Shot Pepper would need to roll to attack Astra and Oleg too? :(

Effect: You make a ranged basic attack with a weapon against each creature in or adjacent to a square within the attack's range. You take a -2 penalty to the attack rolls.

eta: see Rules Compendium p. 106 for the creatures vs enemies distinction; can't screenshot things until new laptop!]
  • Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:00:35 AM by jussr

Reply #771

Reply #772
[HP after ongoing damage: 13/31

Move: stand up.
Minor: sustain zone until the end of my next turn.
Standard: Cast the Net, on A.

Attack: 16 + 9 + 1 [bless] = 26 vs Reflex.
Damage: 1 + 3 [cha] + 1 [enh] = 5 psychic + 5 [bless] radiant damage, and A is teleported to H6.

Save vs ongoing damage: 12]

Reply #773
eta: see Rules Compendium p. 106 for the creatures vs enemies distinction; can't screenshot things until new laptop!]

['Creature means a creature of any sort, whether it is an enemy or an ally of the power's user. A power that targets "each creature" treats creatures indiscriminately: it makes no distinction between friend and foe...Certain powers allow their users to place areas of effect but not to choose targets. For instance, an area power that targets "each creature in the burst" requires the user to target each creature in the burst, whether or not the user wants to.'

So yes, Rapid Shot targets everything in a Burst 1.]

Reply #774
[So ... Pepper spraying everyone with a machine gun basically.]