Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 595479 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #775
[Pepper Turn 3 Revision - if Teshi rules that the additional attacks have to made against Astra and Oleg]

Still in Aspect of the Cunning Fox Stance.

Standard Action: Attack: Disruptive Shot (1d20+15 vs AC/1d10+8 damage and target is immobilized (save ends).  Miss = half damage and the target is slowed until the end of my next turn): 14+15 = 29 vs AC/6+8 = 14 damage

Movement: I duck down behind the counter.  Stealth: 12+14 = 26

Fuck you, I curse to myself silently.  The bolt in my shoulder send waves of familiar pain and a welcome adrenaline rush.  I take aim and send a bolt flying into the face of idiot who shot me (C1).  I drop down behind the counter.  No need to stand around like a raw recruit waiting to get shot.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #776
[My general feeling is that once a turn has passed and another character has gone, unless the error was something that seriously effected the general outcome, done is done.  That said, since chaos came up with a revision that works as well, I'll take the revision instead now :)  It's a hit, obviously; consider my previous post altered to match the replacement action.]

Thanks for the map, Martin!]

The commander growls in frustration as he takes damage and blinks away from the melee. 

Astra!

Reply #777
I let out an exasperated huff as I see the ghost stagger under the big guy's sword, silvery blood coming from wounds only physical cause she won't let go.  Solve a lot of problems if she disappeared, and I bet I could get 'em to leave the key then without knowing any better, I think, but even if that didn't mean leaving her to torment these poor innkeepers... she is holding the doorway.  And the corporal's right behind her - fine.  Fine.  And now's not the time for fucking around with just the sword, neither, not if you wanna make it out of here.

A brief moment of concentration and Mari straightens as I turn my attention back to the thugs around me and the captain.  Ignoring the one that just hit me for the moment, I go for the one that's already been wounded with an overhand slash, then while he's reeling from the blow, toss my sword back behind me towards the second one's face while reaching out to the spirit world for assistance. 

I fumble the throw at first, unused to the new sword and trying very fucking carefully to avoid our godsdamned tagalong ghost's presence while reaching out, but by focusing myself and redirecting the sword back towards the first guy rather than catching it right away, make up for the mistake.  As the weapon flies at the man, a ghostly swarm of mangy inn dogs appears from the aether, their teeth grabbing at clothing and armour to hold him in place.

My mind now settled into the familiar rhythms of controlling the spirits around me, I reach out one final time; briefly, an eagle's visage overlays my own, then fades until only a light impression remains, shading my eyes silver.

[Minor: Armor of Sacrifice power, Astra spends a healing surge and Mari regains hp as if she had done so instead.

Standard: Cleave against C1, C1 is marked
Attack: 18+11=29 vs AC
Hit: 3+5=8 damage

If Cleave hits, utilise Deft Hurler Style to get a free RBA against a second target, using Grappling Spirits as my RBA.

Grappling Spirits against C2
Attack: 1+no

Free Action: Inevitable Shot on that miss to try again vs a different target; I'll go back to C1.

Attack: 13+10=23 vs AC
Hit: 5+4=9 damage, and C1 is slowed and can't shift until the end of his next turn.

Minor: Eagle's Aim, take no penalty to long range attacks until the end of my next turn.]

Reply #778
My focus on the enemies in front of me wavers for a moment as I sense an intruder in the spirit world. Someone's trying to be sneaky about it, but the living are usually crude and clumsy here, and this one's no exception. Who...oh. The kid? Huh. Interesting. But it'll keep.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #779
[Minor: Armor of Sacrifice power, Astra spends a healing surge and Mari regains hp as if she had done so instead.

Standard: Cleave against C1, C1 is marked
Attack: 18+11=29 vs AC
Hit: 3+5=8 damage

If Cleave hits, utilise Deft Hurler Style to get a free RBA against a second target, using Grappling Spirits as my RBA.

Grappling Spirits against C2
Attack: 1+no

Free Action: Inevitable Shot on that miss to try again vs a different target; I'll go back to C1.

Attack: 13+10=23 vs AC
Hit: 5+4=9 damage, and C1 is slowed and can't shift until the end of his next turn.

Minor: Eagle's Aim, take no penalty to long range attacks until the end of my next turn.]

Cleave hits, the other two do not.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #780
[Sorry, moved the wrong enemies.  Will fix later :)  ]
  • Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:35:44 AM by Teshi

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #781
B sidesteps to H7, persistently focused on Mari.  She barks a word, and Mari feels a jolt - until the end of B's next turn, the ghost is vulnerable radiant 5 and if she takes radiant damage, she'll be immobilized (save ends).  Grinning, B follows this up with a brutal jab at Mari with her glowing spear, doing 8 untyped damage and 5 radiant damage (plus the vulnerable, minus whatever ghosty stuff.)  Mari finds herself immobilized.

Valenae, Oleg, Pepper!

[I should be more prompt responding now, as I'm back home.]

Reply #782
[Pepper Turn 4]

Aspect of the Cunning Fox Stance.

Move Action: I stand up.

Standard Action: Attack: Clever Shot: 1d20+16/1d10+8 damage + Slide the Target Up to 2 squares*: 19+16 = 35 vs AC/7+8 = 15 damage+ plus the target slide to ...*

Free Action: Shift to K8

Move Action: I duck back down behind the counter.

*Question on sliding: can I slide the target out of the window behind him?  If so, slide C1 A8; if not, slide C1 to B10 where hopefully he catches on fire.

We should have blocked the windows and doors and set fire to this place.

Reply #783
"You are in the red!" I cry, bringing my hammer down on my wounded foe with one hand, gesturing to Val and Mari with the other. "And you are in the black!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #784
"Shit", I mutter under my breath as I miss. "If the mountain won't come to me...Plan B then."

I stand up [move], sheath my sword and draw my crossbow [Master at Arms, minor] and fire at C2's back [Standard].

[19 + 11 = 30 vs AC. Damage 3 + 5 = 8]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #785
[Diogenes, are you smacking C1 or C2?]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #786
"Shit", I mutter under my breath as I miss. "If the mountain won't come to me...Plan B then."

I stand up [move], sheath my sword and draw my crossbow [Master at Arms, minor] and fire at C2's back [Standard].

[19 + 11 = 30 vs AC. Damage 3 + 5 = 8]

A hit!

"You are in the red!" I cry, bringing my hammer down on my wounded foe with one hand, gesturing to Val and Mari with the other. "And you are in the black!"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Schrodinger's hammer blow!  [Response pending Dio's reply.]

[Pepper Turn 4]

Aspect of the Cunning Fox Stance.

Move Action: I stand up.

Standard Action: Attack: Clever Shot: 1d20+16/1d10+8 damage + Slide the Target Up to 2 squares*: 19+16 = 35 vs AC/7+8 = 15 damage+ plus the target slide to ...*

Free Action: Shift to K8

Move Action: I duck back down behind the counter.

*Question on sliding: can I slide the target out of the window behind him?  If so, slide C1 A8; if not, slide C1 to B10 where hopefully he catches on fire.

We should have blocked the windows and doors and set fire to this place.

Another hit!  C1 is now bleeding freely.  He also takes 5 fire damage, having failed his throw.

I believe this map is up-to-date - let me know if you see anyone in the wrong spot:

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #787
The commander, A, rather unsportingly brings his greatsword down upon the vulnerable Mari, doing 17 radiant damage (Martin, adjust for vulnerable and ghost).  He then shifts to G6.

"I will subdue this heathen, you concentrate on the dwarf," C1 says to C2, and makes a brutal swing at the side of Astra's head with the flat of his blade.  She takes 17 damage and drops prone like a marionette with its strings cut - she is immobilized and cannot stand up (save ends both).  "Good plan," C2 says.  "Steady on, brother," he adds, and his comrade appears strengthened.  C2 attempts the same maneuver on Oleg.  It hits with a wet thump, doing 19 damage, knocking him prone, and also immobilizing and keeping him from standing up (save ends both).   "I believe he's still alive," C2 comments, sparing a glance down at Oleg as he readies for other challengers.  "Good," replies C1.

Mari, Astra!

Reply #788
[Dio said he attacked the wounded one, and only C1 was wounded at that point!]
  • Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 05:35:59 AM by jussr

Reply #789
The commander, A, rather unsportingly brings his greatsword down upon the vulnerable Mari, doing 17 radiant damage (Martin, adjust for vulnerable and ghost).

[Immediate Reaction: Ethereal Retreat. I spend a healing surge, regain 17 HP, and become invisible until the end of my next turn or until I end the effect as a minor action. While invisible, I can't attack.]

He then shifts to G6.

[Opportunity Action: Righteous Radiance; A takes 6 radiant damage for shifting while subject to my Defender Aura.]

Reply #790
[Minor: end Ethereal Retreat.
Move->Minor: sustain zone.
Free: Guidance of the Past: I can roll twice for my next attack and use either result, but if I roll the same number on both dice, I'm dazed until the end of my next turn.
Standard: Valorous Smite on A.

Attack: (10,19) + 9 + 1 [bless] - 2 [aura] = 27 vs Reflex.
Hit: 1 + 3 + 3 [cha] + 1 [enh] = 8 psychic and 5 [bless] radiant damage; A, B and C2 are subject to my Divine Sanction until the end of my next turn (they're all marked, and will take 6 radiant damage if they make any attack that doesn't include me as a target).

No Action: I'll use the daily power on my whip, which adds 3 necrotic damage to my attack, and heals me for 3 HP.

Save vs Immobilise: 9
Current HP: 30/31]
  • Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:17:27 AM by MartinM

Reply #791
"I'm gonna subdue your face," I rasp back at the thug who just knocked me down, as my ears ring and I struggle to stand, and stab up at his crotch, twisting the blade on the way in but trying to avoid the major artery.  Then I throw my sword past the ghost and the corporal at the woman.  "Hey, come and get yours too, if you can!" I yell over at her, trying to call on the local animal spirits to hold her in place.

[Minor: Eagle's Aim again

Standard: Cleave vs C1, C1 is marked til end of my next turn
Attack: 20+11-2 (prone)=29 vs AC
Hit: 8+5+4+4=21 damage
By my calculations, and assuming Oleg did indeed attack C1 before, this could potentially kill him - Astra wants to go for a bloodloss-induced knockout instead.

Grappling Spirits follow-up vs B
Attack: 14+10-2= 22 vs AC
Hit: 5+4=9 damage, B is marked til end of my next turn (superseding Mari's mark), and is slowed and can't shift til end of her next turn

Save vs stuff: 17]

Reply #792
[Dio said he attacked the wounded one, and only C1 was wounded at that point!]

[Right, C1, assuming they were the one I wounded previously. Also, Mari is passing on the Healing Word. Retarget or fizzle? I can apply overheal as temp hp if somebody wants and you're in range. Astra maybe?]

Reply #793
[Works for me if I can take it as temp hp; I'm planning on going to support Mari soon anyway, so I'm sure I'll need it!]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #794
[Right, C1, assuming they were the one I wounded previously. Also, Mari is passing on the Healing Word. Retarget or fizzle? I can apply overheal as temp hp if somebody wants and you're in range. Astra maybe?]

Against C1 is was not a hit - alas, because that was otherwise a very dramatic move.

[Minor: end Ethereal Retreat.
Move->Minor: sustain zone.
Free: Guidance of the Past: I can roll twice for my next attack and use either result, but if I roll the same number on both dice, I'm dazed until the end of my next turn.
Standard: Valorous Smite on A.

Attack: (10,19) + 9 + 1 [bless] - 2 [aura] = 27 vs Reflex.
Hit: 1 + 3 + 3 [cha] + 1 [enh] = 8 psychic and 5 [bless] radiant damage; A, B and C2 are subject to my Divine Sanction until the end of my next turn (they're all marked, and will take 6 radiant damage if they make any attack that doesn't include me as a target).

No Action: I'll use the daily power on my whip, which adds 3 necrotic damage to my attack, and heals me for 3 HP.

Save vs Immobilise: 9
Current HP: 30/31]

A hit!

"I'm gonna subdue your face," I rasp back at the thug who just knocked me down, as my ears ring and I struggle to stand, and stab up at his crotch, twisting the blade on the way in but trying to avoid the major artery.  Then I throw my sword past the ghost and the corporal at the woman.  "Hey, come and get yours too, if you can!" I yell over at her, trying to call on the local animal spirits to hold her in place.

[Minor: Eagle's Aim again

Standard: Cleave vs C1, C1 is marked til end of my next turn
Attack: 20+11-2 (prone)=29 vs AC
Hit: 8+5+4+4=21 damage
By my calculations, and assuming Oleg did indeed attack C1 before, this could potentially kill him - Astra wants to go for a bloodloss-induced knockout instead.

Grappling Spirits follow-up vs B
Attack: 14+10-2= 22 vs AC
Hit: 5+4=9 damage, B is marked til end of my next turn (superseding Mari's mark), and is slowed and can't shift til end of her next turn

Save vs stuff: 17]

Cleave was a hit, but C1 is not defeated.  Grappling Spirits was a miss.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #795
B snarls and goes after Mari again despite Astra's mark.  She barks the same word as before, rendering the ghost vulnerable radiant 5 and subject to immoblization again, and jabs at Mari with her glowing spear, for 9 radiant damage, 5 ongoing radiant damage (save ends) [Martin, adjust for vulnerable and ghost], and re-immobilizing the ghost, as if she wasn't immoblized enough already.  She shifts to H8, moving indoors.  "Hello, asshole," she greets Val viciously. 

B's aura is still in effect on Mari and Valenae. 

Valenae, Oleg, Pepper!

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #796
I smile winningly at her, "Did you miss me darling?"

I lean towards her as though for a kiss, but at the last microsecond I dissolve into a hundred bat shapes, flapping and scurrying around her and her leader. When the Batstorm dies down I'm standing behind the pair of them at I7, though completely invisible to them, while they bleed from a multitude of small wounds.

[Swarm: attack on B 20 (!) + 9  = 29, attack on A 13 + 9 = 22 vs fortitude. Damage if hit 5+5+3+9= 22, 11 if a miss.]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #797
:D

Hit on B, miss on A. 

Oleg, Pepper!

Reply #798
When the Batstorm dies down I'm standing behind the pair of them at I7, though completely invisible to them, while they bleed from a multitude of small wounds.

[Might want to add a Stealth check after the teleport; without it, even invisibility doesn't stop people from knowing exactly where you are. Everybody in 4e is incredibly observant by default.

Also, a hit from that power inflicts ongoing 5 damage, and the critical on B will do 27 + 2d6 damage.]
  • Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:01:21 AM by MartinM

Reply #799
[Val also needs to switch his sword back in for his crossbow first lol]