Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 596412 times) previous topic - next topic

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #950
Here is the current situation, with Pepper midway through Turn 3:

[Z was formerly known as C2 and red A is Atrelioth, formerly called B. ]

Reply #951
[*IF* the dino stays outside.]

Reply #952
[IF YOU GET ME KILLED BY A DINOSAUR...]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #953
[For the sake of having everything pre-established:  the front two windows are currently closed, the side two windows are presumably currently open (Astra and Pepper have gone through them), the storeroom door is closed, the bar counter is closed, and the stable gate is closed. 

I don't think we established in the narrative whether the front doors were left open or closed when everyone came inside, so I'll flip a coin for each of the doors: Left is closed, right is ajar. ]

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #954
[Val isn't doing anything]

Reply #955
[Remainder of Pepper's current turn:  Standard Action: I convince the dino that an irresistible, delectable morsel of meat is just inside the cabin and that it's insatiably hungry.  "Can you smell it (it being the burning remains of Andri)?"  "You better get it before anyone else does!"  This is expressed in a series of guttural growls, grunts, burps, tweets and hisses.  Animal Handling: 16+13 = 29]

[Action Point!  Move: R5 to Q4 to L4 to K3 to J1 to I1; Stealth: 17+14 = 31]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #956
The clawfoot rolls initiative, and can now move after Pepper and Mari.  [Animal handling is not a thing in 4e, though.]

The warhorses stir agitatedly at this sound - it's an invisible dinosaur that smells like an elf, right beside us?  Probably we should stomp on it - their stupid horse brains decide.  But then Pepper moves away.  Pepper can move 9, right?  I think that actually places her at L2.

Mari now has the option to act, then I'll move NPCs!
  • Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 03:28:52 PM by Teshi

Reply #957
[Animal handling is not a thing in 4e, though.]

[*hits head with hammer* "nature.  nature.  nature.]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #958
Clawfoots don't have language, so the clawfoot doesn't know precisely what she's on about.  It does pick up the scent she points out, though, and heads over to the roadhouse and through its open door, to G9.  "The fuck?" Atrelioth says.  [The clawfoot is out of moves.]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #959
[Arguably it provoked an OA from Zoder, but I don't think he's into stabbing dinosaurs for no reason, so I won't take it.]

Reply #960
"Huh," I say. "Hi, little fella! What are you doing in here? The birdy inn is next door."

[No actions.]

Reply #961
"Well, I tied mine up," I say.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #962
Zoder, confused, reaches over and takes the clawfoot's reins [minor action] and attempts to back it out the door [move action].  It won't budge until he, with a look of disgusted realization on his face, draws some jerky from his pack, to use as a bribe [minor action].  The clawfoot is now in G7, and if you assume Zoder was moving with it to back it up, he's in G8. 

"God's sake," Atrelioth mutters, and moves to L9 to peer out the window, drawing Astra's sling.

The warhorses, restive after this disturbance, trot 8 squares due west from each of their positions, seeking out both their masters and the odd creature they detected earlier.

Pepper again!

• Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:44:56 PM by Teshi

Reply #963
I think that actually places her at L2.

[Diagonal movement]

Reply #964
[Can I see the target in G8 or do I need to make a Perception check?]

Reply #965
[Minor: change to Aspect of the Cunning Fox Stance]

[Standard Action: Clever Shot+Prone+Spider Bolt*: 19+16+1 = 36 v AC/10+8+1 = 19 damage + prone + slowed: Pepper shoots Zoder in the face.]

[Invisibility ends]

[Free Action: Slide to G1; Stealth: 19+14 = 33]

Target exposed.  Draw breath.  Hold.  Sight.  Shoot.  Move.

*Spider Bolt+1: +1 to attack and damage rolls.  When you hit an enemy using this ammunition, that enemy and each creature adjacent to it is slowed until the end of your next turn.  (Sorry Mari).

Reply #966
Well, that's done it. Good job possibly getting your comrades killed, I guess.

"All right, you lot," I say, quickly uncoiling my whip again. "Leave these three alone, and I won't intervene. Take her alive if you can."

[Minor: draw my whip.
Standard: Ready an action. If anybody attacks Val, Astra, Oleg, or myself, and the attacker is within my reach, I'll attack with Cast the Net.

Attack: 12 + 9 = 21 vs Reflex
Damage: 4 psychic damage, and the target is teleported to E10.

Move->Minor: reactivate my Defender Aura, though I won't use Righteous Radiance on anyone who hasn't attacked non-Pepper party members.]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #967
Pepper's blow hits!  Zoder goes down. 

Pepper is hidden from Atrelioth, but not Zoder or the warhorses.

"Looks like we found the sniper," Atrelioth snarks.  "Where is she?" 

"There," replies Zoder, pointing.

"I won't hold your comrade's action against you, so long as you cooperate," the commander says to Mari and the others.  The he tells Atrelioth, "Make the sniper think we will, though, eh?"  Atrelioth grins at him.

Zoder draws his crossbow, stands up, and fires at Pepper, doing 15 damage.

Atrelioth moves to H8, shouts to Pepper, "You do remember we have hostages, dumbass?  What do you think happens ot them if we have to come chase you?" and swings the sling at Pepper as well.The stone connects, but with a less than awe-insipring 7 damage.  She shrugs, and slams the door, closing the dinosaur outside.  "Not my weapon," she tells Zoder, who gives her a yeah, yeah nod.

The warhorses snort and stamp, excited by battle and the scent of blood, but being horses their AI has terrible pathfinding. (Have you ever watched an undirected horse try to negotiate obstacles?)  Two of them, after a bit of meandering, seem to get the basic idea of bridges, and approaches that way; the others pace along the fence across from Pepper, thwarted by the barrier.  The warhorses are now at L2, K4, G4 and F4.  [I did a little number generator thing to determine how good the horses were at figuring how how to reach Pepper.  They were not very smart.]

[Aden is welcome to move if he's around, otherwise, Pepper again!]
  • Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:11:03 PM by Teshi

Reply #968
[Can I ready an action too?  If anyone attacks Astra or Oleg, she wants to aid Oleg's defense vs them, then drag him over to the NE corner of the building.

eta: Where are Andri's weapons?]
  • Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:19:27 AM by jussr

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #969
"It isn't cannibalism if we aren't of the same species. And don't you try to take the high road about murder. I can see the blood dripping from your holier than thou mouth."

Tarravan touches his lacerated face.  "I believe that's from your assault on me," he says mildly.  "Do you consider us not the same species because you're Eladrin, or because you're dead?"

"Um," I say.  "Well, they'll fade away sooner or later.  There's shit you can do for ones that've gone mad, yeah, but it aint exactly safe neither, even if you know what you're doing.  My late brother did, but I didn't really learn enough to do it on my own, yeah?  Besides, that's just... it's still controlling 'em, only difference is what you're making 'em do."

"Precisely," the commander replies.  "When you are in control of others' lives - or in your case, afterlives - you have a duty of good stewardship.  Do you consider forcing them to maul people 'good stewardship'?"

"He's just trying to manipulate you, kid," I say icily. "He has no compassion for the dead. I'm nothing to him; just a thing to be destroyed. You really think the spirit of a horse matters any more in his eyes?"

"I'm very fond of horses," Tarravan says, unruffled.  "And not destroyed.  Dispatched.  For your own good and the good of the living."
  • Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:39:45 AM by Teshi

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #970
[Can I ready an action too?  If anyone attacks Astra or Oleg, she wants to aid Oleg's defense vs them, then drag him over to the NE corner of the building.

eta: Where are Andri's weapons?]

[Zoder has them.  You can ready an action if you roll initiative and become a combatant...if that's what you want to do!]

Reply #971
"Wait, what?  Eladrin?" I exclaim.  "He's an elf!"

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #972

"You Karrns have a thing about Eladrin, don't you?" he observes.  "I was never clear on what they were supposed to have done.  Yes, they're heathen savages from a wicked realm, but so are most people.  As a people they're not unredeemable."

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #973

[Oh, and dino in G7,]

Reply #974

"You Karrns have a thing about Eladrin, don't you?" he observes.  "I was never clear on what they were supposed to have done.  Yes, they're heathen savages from a wicked realm, but so are most people.  As a people they're not unredeemable."
"Uh, they kidnap and murder people?" I say incredulously.  "You don't... someone gets taken by eladrin, they're just gone."  I look over to the vampire and say disgustedly, "How the fuck did you ever get sent along with us.  Does anyone even know what you really are, or did they just decide it don't much matter if you got hungry along the way with nobody else around and didn't bother telling no one, neither?" 

Did you know? I don't ask, glancing at Olegov.