Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 589796 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #1200
Defense?

"Sir!  The Captain-Chaplain was under the duress and influence of hostile enemy agents.  We are on a clandestine mission.  Per standard operating procedures, when the officer in command is compromised by hostile action, command turns the next highest ranking officer, commissioned or non-commissioned.  Command fell to me.  As such my priority became to eliminate the hostiles, extract my team and secure the mission."

Reply #1201
"Compromised by enemy action, Palatinate, refers to an inability to give orders," Karlach states, voice turning somewhat chilly.  "Not the issuance of an order with which you disagree.  Do you know why Captain Olegov is in command over you, Sergeant?  It is because, in the judgement of your superiors, he is better placed to make certain decisions - a judgement which events of the day clearly support, as you not only disobeyed a direct order, but utterly failed in your stated goal, putting not only your life and all that we have invested in your training at risk, but doing the same with those of your entire team, commanding officer included!"  By the end, Karlach's voice, though still the same volume, cracks like a whip; he takes a short moment to return it to calm control before continuing.

"Had you succeeded, of course, this would likely have mitigated your offense in the view of some; I am not among them.  That said, it seems we have two tasks before us: you must prove to me both your competence as a soldier - a competence which includes your ability to accurately judge your own capabilities before undertaking a course of action - and your ability to follow orders, both on and off the field of battle.  Should you fail by disobeying one of my orders in a situation directly involving the enemy, the rest becomes a moot point; I will execute you myself.  Should you fail in one of the other two matters before the end of our mission - well, in that case I suppose you shall have to try and prove yourself worthy to a different commanding officer if you wish your former rank restored, Soldier Palatinate.  Am I thoroughly understood?"

Reply #1202
At the sergeant's departure, I find myself standing alone. With a ghost.

"So..."

"...Mari? Is it?"

"Why are you... a ghost?"

Reply #1203
Am I thoroughly understood?"

Another one of *these*.  Otto, save me.

"Sir.  I understand that I fear neither you, nor the lash, nor the gallows.  I expect death everyday, which is why I have survived the entirety of this war that we still yet wage," I respond in a matter of fact tone, "Strike me down if you desire.  My desire is to succeed in this mission even if it has been severely compromised.  Success is yet possible."

Reply #1204
At the sergeant's departure, I find myself standing alone. With a ghost.

"So..."

"...Mari? Is it?"

"Why are you... a ghost?"

Odd question.

"Well, I, uh...died."

Reply #1205
"I see. I... ah... Yes. I do realize that. Hmm..."

I scratch my beard thoughtfully.

"But most who have died tend not to... linger. Do you choose to remain? Are you compelled to remain?"

Reply #1206
Am I thoroughly understood?"

Another one of *these*.  Otto, save me.

"Sir.  I understand that I fear neither you, nor the lash, nor the gallows.  I expect death everyday, which is why I have survived the entirety of this war that we still yet wage," I respond in a matter of fact tone, "Strike me down if you desire.  My desire is to succeed in this mission even if it has been severely compromised.  Success is yet possible."
Karlach regards Pepper for a moment, and then smiles faintly.  "Oh, I doubt the gallows will prove necessary, what with the war being over at this time.  And I fear I left my whip back at my prior posting.  But as a former sergeant, you will have served your two years, yes?  If you prove yourself unfit to be a soldier, a simple dishonorable discharge will suffice."

Reply #1207
I raise an eyebrow.

Does he not listen?

"Sir. I have served Karrnath for 165 years."

Reply #1208
"Then your mandatory service is, indeed, complete," Karlach replies, seemingly unmoved by the number given.  "Now.  Report to your corporal, see if he desires any assistance with his injuries, and assist as required in finding reasonable ways to meet his... nutritional needs.  And bear in mind military regulations regarding the requisition of supplies, food included, in peacetime; anyone he dines upon must receive adequate compensation.  Dismissed, Soldier."

Reply #1209
"Sir!  Yes, sir!"  I salute and exit promptly.

Well, that went well.

I find Val.

"Sir!  Private Palatinate reporting as ordered, sir!"  Being broken down in rank doesn't embarrass me.  Being ordered to report to requisition stings.

Reply #1210
"I see. I... ah... Yes. I do realize that. Hmm..."

I scratch my beard thoughtfully.

"But most who have died tend not to... linger. Do you choose to remain? Are you compelled to remain?"

"Honestly? No idea," I reply. "I'm not even sure how I'd go about finding out. How do you choose to just...not be?"

Reply #1211
Once the soldier has left, I permit myself a brief roll of my eyes before putting the map aside and taking up my dinner once more.  That one will be trouble, I think, and take a moment to wish I could take charge of her properly; over a century and a half without a discharge in spite of apparent blatant disobedience, and there must be something about the elf that has made her commanders willing to endure her presence, but I doubt I shall have the time to make much of an impression on her.  Not if I wish her to remain functional, at least.  And my second reasonably cooperative, since he seems the type to worry over the feelings and well-being of his subordinates.  And the mission must come first; a pity.  Well, with good fortune we may have this wrapped up inside a fortnight, and I may resume my leave after reporting back.  Best send another letter to Lady Ebba once we reach Irontown; Thranians should not be so foolish as to attack an Orien courier, but I will leave nothing to chance in this matter.

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1212
"Sir!  Yes, sir!"  I salute and exit promptly.

Well, that went well.

I find Val.

"Sir!  Private Palatinate reporting as ordered, sir!"  Being broken down in rank doesn't embarrass me.  Being ordered to report to requisition stings.

I raise an eyebrow.

"Private, is it? Well Private, I did not send for you."

Reply #1213
"Sir.  The new commanding officer, The Lieutenant Colonel, ordered me to see to your well being, and ... nutritional needs."

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1214
"I'm sorry, did you say, 'nutritional needs'? Like blood? Awfully good of you Pepper but it's a bit icky, don't you think? I'm supposed to seduce you with poetry, music and my piercing gaze, and then eventually you await my presence in a four poster bed wearing a diaphanous gown. Just offering your throat is severely lacking the romance of the transaction.

"That said, should you find your way to filling a small cup with your blood, I would be discretely grateful. I am still a bit weak."

Reply #1215
"Sir.  I think you will find mine bitter to your taste.  If I may be dismissed, I shall find a reasonably accommodating supply."

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1216
"Sir.  I think you will find mine bitter to your taste.  If I may be dismissed, I shall find a reasonably accommodating supply."

I narrow my eyes at her.

"Riiiight...willing blood tastes sweeter Pepper. Remember that."

Reply #1217
Before going to bed, I leave my tent and track down Olegov.  "Captain," I greet him.  "Wake me when it is my turn on watch; Soldier Palatinate - she has received a demotion for her disobedience today - will take first watch, accompanied by the ghost if it will cooperate.  You and the corporal take second, and I will join him for third."

[I'll just take ten for my perception check on watch for a total of 15.]

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1218
[Perception checks: 7 & 13 + 8 = 15 & 21]

Reply #1219
[Perception 16+13 = 29; stealth: 16+14 = 30]

Reply #1220
[I'll take ten on Perception during my watch, too: 17]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1221
The night passes wholly uneventfully except for various looky-loos traveling the highway stopping to ogle the remains of the fire.  Dawn breaks cold and clear over the smouldering remains of the building and over your camp, a rime of crystalline frost deposited over every cool surface offering a warning of incipient harsher weather. 

[Where are you off to?]

Reply #1222
As the sun peeks over the horizon, I shut the small journal I have been writing in during our turn at watch, and stand.  "See that Captain Olegov is awake, Corporal," I instruct, making for my tent.  "And send Soldier Palatinate to pack up the tents; I want to be on the road to Irontown within the hour."

Back inside, I see to the packing of the more delicate and sensitive items myself, working around the elf woman, after setting tea to steep for myself and Olegov.  After a hard day's ride, and relatively little sleep the night prior, I was not and am not in the mood for inconsequential conversation, tersely answering any such attempts.  Once we are underway, however, and I myself am refreshed by the tea and brisk - correction, bloody cold - early morning air, I decide I had best continue acquainting myself with my new subordinates.  And our tagalong.

"Have you served long, Captain?" I ask mildly.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1223
[Okay!  Give me your marching order toward Irontown, and any checks you'd like to be making as you ride.]

Reply #1224
"Have you served long, Captain?" I ask mildly.
"The first of Rhaan this year marked a decade plus two," I reply. "The time has passed too quickly."

"And you, Colonel? Have you served long?"