Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 589795 times) previous topic - next topic

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #1250
I go back to the group.

"Okay.  We have rooms.  The inn is strange though.  I can't put my finger on why."

Reply #1251
"Strange in what manner?" I ask, one eyebrow lifting.  "The location, the people, the building itself?"

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1252
I shrug.

"Everything. The people don't fit the building in appearance or mannerisms. The bartender asked if I wanted extras but I don't know what he meant. But we got a very good price. I can't make head nor tail of it."

Reply #1253
"Mmm," I acknowledge, not overly concerned by this vague report.  Black market dealings or the like, perhaps.  "Show us to the inn, then, Valenae," I say, and we follow where he leads.  Before entering, I hand my reins over to Palatinate and order, "Join us once you have seen to the beasts and our belongings," though I take my satchel myself.

Reply #1254
Once can be a very long time.

I secure our mounts and Fondue in the livery of the inn.  Meticulously I primp and preen each creature, being sure to thoroughly clean out the talons and hooves especially of any rocks and grime.  I give the Master's horse a thorough brushing and clean and oil the tack as well.  Once the beasts of burden are attended to, I groom Fondue, and sing to her

You fill up my senses
 Like a night in a forest
 Like the mountains in springtime
 Like a walk in the rain
 Like a storm in the desert
 Like a sleepy blue ocean
 You fill up my senses
 Come fill me again

Come, let me love you
 Let me give my life to you
 Let me drown in your laughter
 Let me die in your arms
 Let me lay down beside you
 Let me always be with you
 Come, let me love you
 Come love me again

Let me give my life to you
 Come, let me love you
 Come love me again

You fill up my senses
 Like a night in a forest
 Like the mountains in springtime
 Like a walk in the rain
 Like a storm in the desert
 Like a sleepy blue ocean
 You fill up my senses
 Come fill me again

Satisfied the animals are well-tended, well fed, relaxed, safe and secure I carefully arrange our gear in a pile in a corner behind the claw-foots.  Anyone attempting to get at that would need to get by them first.

How long does this take?  Hours?  Does it matter?  Chair-jockeys and requisition control my fate now.  I imagine grim prospects ahead.  To serve even unto death and beyond, right Otto?  Well, I saved Creon from this.  Maybe that's enough.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1255
Despite Val's misgiving about the inn, that evening the service is good, the other patrons keep out of your way, and you settle in for the night without event, unless you count "excellent stew and passable stout" as an event. 

There is one oddity:  that night, Pepper, Oleg and Karlach all dream of the lake.  It calls to each by name, in a voice that echoes like old friends and lost loves.  Each in his or her dream stands alone on the shore, the mist curling around, soft and smooth as silk, while the waters rise up over bare feet, calves, knees...not icy, as one would expect, but comfortable and inviting, smelling not of fish and old duckweed, but of freshly laundered pillows.  They each awaken from their dreams just as the water engulfs them entirely.

Val and Mari experience no such visions.

The following morning, the inn serves an excellent breakfast!

[Okay, what are you guys up to in Irontown today?]

Reply #1256
[Arcana check for whether anything seemed off to me about the dream? 17+11=28]

"Now," I say over breakfast in the private dining area, neatly cutting into my gammon steak.  "Explain to me this secret mission business.  You were told to hide your allegiance to the military?"

Reply #1257
"Now," I say over breakfast in the private dining area, neatly cutting into my gammon steak.  "Explain to me this secret mission business.  You were told to hide your allegiance to the military?"

I stare at Karlach for a long moment, attempting to cover my exasperation.

But I hold my tongue.  This is Oleg's to sort out.  And a good measure to determine just how incompetent these commanders are.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1258

Definitely.  It felt external to you, rather than something arising from your own subconscious, and oddly compelling.  Unfortunately you take a significant penalty to your check due to being asleep at the time, so you can't pin down more than a certainty that it was unnatural.

Reply #1259
[I dismiss the dream as one of a more pleasant variety of the several nightmares I typically encounter during any given sleep.]

Reply #1260

"Ah, yes," I reply in a soft voice while tucking my beard into my gambeson. "I'm not at all surprised that you would deduce we were on a secret mission, given our lack of insignia or uniform."

I pluck up a baked egg, ensphered in bread crumbs and sausage mince, and take a bite. Steam rises from the remaining half, its center staring back at me like a yellow eye. I chew thoughtfully, drifting momentarily back to the dream of the lake before returning to the matter at hand.

"We were told to respect the chain of command, except for addressing each other by rank or saluting."

I 'toast' Karlach with the remaining half-egg and pop it in my mouth.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1261
[Now I want breakfast.]

Reply #1262
"We were told to respect the chain of command, except for addressing each other by rank or saluting."

"Irregular," I reply, frowning slightly.  "But if General ir'Dulinch so commands, very well.  As to our identities here and as we travel, there is little point to my pretending to be anyone other than whom I am; I was in this very town when I received my orders, and pass through the area commonly enough on personal business.  Master Olegov I can introduce as a friend of the family or travelling companion, while Valenae and Palatinate will do as attendant and guard; I sent my manservant on before taking up this command, and will be expected to have one.  The ghost remains a difficulty," I say, my frown deepening.

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1263
"Soothsayer," I say, peering dubiously at an undercooked black pudding. "Out here people expect weirdness and undead. And Mari is both."

Reply #1264
"We could just say I had a slight accident with an invisibility potion," I suggest.

Reply #1265
I roll my eyes, but then say thoughtfully, "My own magic has something of a concealing effect on me, much of the time; we could perhaps pass your own appearance off as a simple magical effect without getting into the details."

Reply #1266
"Or we could just go with 'yeah, I'm a ghost, get over it'," I reply. "Speaking of your magic, what actually is it?"

Reply #1267
"Useful," I reply briskly.  "Regardless of how we handle your... metaphysical status, we still need to explain your presence with me, however.  And, indeed, my business here; I come to this region to visit my intended, and she certainly has no need of a ghost."

Reply #1268
"Right, because we're all identical," I retort. "Look, I'm not 'a ghost'; I'm me. We don't need to explain a damn thing, any more than we need to explain why anyone else is where they are."

Reply #1269
"If we do not wish to invite speculation that risks the secrecy of this task, we do need to provide plausible explanations," I reply, starting to become slightly annoyed. 

Reply #1270
"Fine", I say, crossing my arms and glaring at the table.

Reply #1271
My annoyance morphs into bemusement as I cock my head to the side and regard the ghost for a moment, before shaking it slightly and drawling, "I suppose she started following me and will not go away has the benefit of being both comprehensive and accurate, as explanations go."

Reply #1272
"Now," I continue.  "Our work for the day.  This is the obvious route towards our destination, and it may be that we can find some information on those lost soldiers here - what do we know of them at present?"

Reply #1273
How did you get your orders?

Who gave them to you?

Why wouldnt you be informed of a mission critical order to be clandestine?

Who is your intended?

How can we secure her against being used as leverage against you?

How do we confirm the veracity of the sending that called away our original commander?

These are questions I would ask if I were asking questions.

The inn's quiche is enjoyable.

Reply #1274
"Now," I continue.  "Our work for the day.  This is the obvious route towards our destination, and it may be that we can find some information on those lost soldiers here - what do we know of them at present?"
"A few months back, the other team was lost between here and the tundra north of Lakeside. That team included ir'-Dulinch's son."

I dip another baked egg in ham gravy and take a bite, while looking around at my companions.

[Insight Roll(1d20)+12: 13,+12, Total:25]

"Palatinate, you seem to have something on your mind. Would you like to speak?"