Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 594579 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #425
They ride undisturbed, and when they begin to change direction to encircle the other lookout from the west, they spot a figure in the distance atop a horse, riding the dirt trail that links the lookout points, ambling slowly toward the outpost where they left the colonel earlier today.

"This is our opportunity.  We can set an ambush for him.  Hide on either side of the road.  You can apparate in front of him as a distraction.  I can waylay him from behind.  We can then interrogate him for relevant intelligence."

"You take the north side.  I'll take the south side.  I whistle a signal.  Distract him then and I'll make my move.  Go."

I dismount and lead my clawfoot too a small depression by the side of the road.  I coax it into roosting by pulling down its blinders and soothing it [Nature: 13+13 = 26].

Quietly I hurry along one side of the trail until I find a suitable place to hide and wait [Stealth: 19+13 = 32 *PLUS* Mari gets a +2 to her stealth check too.]

I ready a dagger.

Reply #426
"Ambush? Apparate? What the Hells are you talk...hey, wait! Oh, for the..."

This is not going to go well. "What's wrong with talking to the guy, you moron?" I mutter darkly. "Ah, sod it."

I guide Fluffy over to the trail, in plain sight of the approaching figure. "Hi!" I call out. "My friend and I would like to ask you some questions, if we may?"

[Diplomacy: 18 + 8 = 26]

Reply #427
Listening carefully I count off the number of clomping hoof beats I hear, estimating the distance and the time of arrival.

Soon.  I'll signal after he passes, then ...

I guide Fluffy over to the trail, in plain sight of the approaching figure. "Hi!" I call out. "My friend and I would like to ask you some questions, if we may?"

Hellsssss.  Otto, for the sake of ... No time.

I sheath my dagger and emerge from my hiding place behind the stranger, glaring at Mari.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #428
"Ambush? Apparate? What the Hells are you talk...hey, wait! Oh, for the..."

This is not going to go well. "What's wrong with talking to the guy, you moron?" I mutter darkly. "Ah, sod it."

[Diplomacy: 18 + 8 = 26]

As Pepper passes unseen, only Mari's friendly demeanor keeps the young uniformed dwarf on the fat shaggy pony from fleeing the sight of a ghost rider. "Why are you and your horse see-through?" the dwarf asks, voice wavering.

Reply #429
"Ghost," I reply helpfully. "It's OK, I'm nice. Now, about those questions...uh, Pepper? What was it we wanted to know, exactly?"

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #430
"Q-q-questions?"  the dwarf wavers, looking behind him to see Pepper, and blanching further.  Then he sits up a little straighter, pulling himself together.  "You won't get anything out of my besides my name, rank, and service number!" he says, bravado rather undermined by his quavering voice, and his hand goest to the hilt of the sword across his back.
  • Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 10:33:17 AM by Teshi

Reply #431
Can still get off an incapacitating shot from here.  I don't think he realizes I'm be ... HELLSssssss ...

*grinding teeth*

*cough* "I ... we need to ... name ... ra ... er, No ..." I dart a look at Mari.

[Diplomacy: 18+3 = 21]

"HiCanwepleasegetyournamewhereyoucamefromwhatyouweredoingthereandwhatyouknowofanyothergroupsoftravelersthatmayhavecomethroughtheoutpostandheadedtowardsthemountainsinthelastthreemonths?"

I remember to breath.

*mental facepalm*

I return to glaring at Mari.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #432
Can still get off an incapacitating shot from here.  I don't think he realizes I'm be ... HELLSssssss ...

*grinding teeth*

*cough* "I ... we need to ... name ... ra ... er, No ..." I dart a look at Mari.

[Diplomacy: 18+3 = 21]

"HiCanwepleasegetyournamewhereyoucamefromwhatyouweredoingthereandwhatyouknowofanyothergroupsoftravelersthatmayhavecomethroughtheoutpostandheadedtowardsthemountainsinthelastthreemonths?"

I remember to breath.

*mental facepalm*

I return to glaring at Mari.

The dwarf takes his hand off his weapon, but says - nearly stoutly! - "Kellark Soldorak, soldier!  Service number...54321!"  He's clearly forgotten his number.

Reply #433
I wonder why they sent us through those caverns at all when we coulda just come here overland, I muse idly to myself, sprawled out atop the ridge and watching the outpost.

Reply #434
"Relax, buddy," I say, smiling at him. "We're on the same side. General Dull...er, Dulinch sent us."

Reply #435
*inner panic intensifies*

I shift uncomfortably but remember to keep my hands away from my weapons and try to even look relaxed ... maybe.

For a moment I consider capitulating and signaling Mari for help.  No.  I can do this.  This ... whatever it is I'm doing.

Then I consider ordering him, but ... no.  Can't do that either.  Orders.  Or just saying hells with it and knocking him out, but Leatherleaf would want answers and the phantom menace over there isn't going to have my back on this one ... so, no.

Then, inspiration.

I pull off my leather helm cap and shake my pink hair free, "Hey.  We're not here to hurt you.  We can be friends, right?" I try to smile not menacingly awkwardly.

[Diplomacy 12+3 = 15]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #436
"Relax, buddy," I say, smiling at him. "We're on the same side. General Dull...er, Dulinch sent us."

"Kellark Soldorak, soldier!  65456!"

Reply #437
Smiling hurts.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #438
I pull off my leather helm cap and shake my pink hair free, "Hey.  We're not here to hurt you.  We can be friends, right?" I try to smile not menacingly awkwardly.

[Diplomacy 12+3 = 15]

"Kellark Soldorak, soldier?"  he replies, resolve starting to break down.  "23456?"

Reply #439
This is working?

"I'm Pepper, Kellark.  What's a big, strong soldier like you doing out here all by himself, hmm?"

Is this how I stand to look alluring?

[Diplomacy 12+3 = 15]

Reply #440
Remember to tie the apparitions key to a bolt and shoot it into the heart of Khyber.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #441
This is working?

"I'm Pepper, Kellark.  What's a big, strong soldier like you doing out here all by himself, hmm?"

Is this how I stand to look alluring?

[Diplomacy 12+3 = 15]

"Um," he says.  "Delivering the annual snipe hunting quota fulfillment reports to Lookout Point Delta?"

Reply #442
Snipe hunting reports ... hells, this poor fool.

"Sounds very important Kellark.  Say, tell me, is this the only time in say ... the last three months ... you've been sent away on an important mission like that?"

Hey!  My eyes are green!  Greens eyes are ... nice ... right?

I make an attempt at batting my gleaming green eyes at the dwarf.

[Diplomacy 5+3 = 8
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
]

Reply #443
I should just shoot him.  Or myself.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #444
"Um," he says.  "I think I have some eye drops in my bag somewhere?"  he offers, giving her a concerned look. 

Reply #445
Hells ...

I chance a look at Mari which I intend for her to interpret as "Get-in-here-now-and-fix-this-that-is-an-order." and not "Pleasegetmeoutofthis." which maybe is what I'm actually thinking.

Reply #446
"I think what my friend is trying to say is that she'd like to know how often you're away on your own," I tell the dwarf. "She travels a lot. And she gets lonely, you see? Or do I need to draw you a diagram?"

[Bluff: 20 + 15 = 35]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #447
"I think what my friend is trying to say is that she'd like to know how often you're away on your own," I tell the dwarf. "She travels a lot. And she gets lonely, you see? Or do I need to draw you a diagram?"

[Bluff: 20 + 15 = 35]

"Oh," the young soldier says, then blushes.  "Ohhhh.  Um.  Not often enough!" he says, warming to this idea.

Reply #448
"Oh, that's no fun," I reply sympathetically. "You must get really bored, staying in one place all the time. Never meeting anyone new. Lucky we ran into each other, eh? Still, I'll bet you see lots of interesting people when you do get out and about. That's what Pepper loves about travel, you know. Meeting people, swapping stories, getting to know them..."

[Bluff: 15 + 15 = 30]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #449
"Oh, that's no fun," I reply sympathetically. "You must get really bored, staying in one place all the time. Never meeting anyone new. Lucky we ran into each other, eh? Still, I'll bet you see lots of interesting people when you do get out and about. That's what Pepper loves about travel, you know. Meeting people, swapping stories, getting to know them..."

[Bluff: 15 + 15 = 30]

"Oh.  Do you want to...swap stories?"  the dwarf asks Pepper hopefully.