Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 589833 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #525
"The farmstead is an unnecessary distraction and security risk."

"We now know we are the fourth such group to potentially pass this way.  We are exposing ourselves with no planned benefit."

"Recommend that we divert away in order to preserve our anonymity, and conceal our location and change in course."

"As for a cover story, posing as traveling mercenaries creates potential conflict with local constabularies, sentries and patrols."

I consider Olegov for a moment.

"However, a vassal of Kol Korran would travel with a security attachment, especially if he were transporting an important spiritual artifact, " I look toward Mari, "to a remote temple for re-dedication."

I shrug.  "It's worked before."

Reply #526
"Hm. Oleg? Could we pull that sort of ruse off easily? I do speak Dwarven, as do others among us, so there's that as some degree of confirmation."

Reply #527
"Benefit of the farmhouse is that it's cold enough to kill the lizards if we leave 'em out overnight," I say.  "Also we only got two tents, so unless you was looking forward to sharing with me and Valenae..."

Reply #528
"Benefit of the farmhouse is that it's cold enough to kill the lizards if we leave 'em out overnight," I say.  "Also we only got two tents, so unless you was looking forward to sharing with me and Valenae..."

"Modesty is irrelevant," I respond matter-of-fact, "Nor is proximity a concern, in fact it is a necessity." 

"Both tents can be used to cover the entire group.  It will create sufficient camouflage and retain heat.  We sleep in the center and the clawfoots clutch around us.  While perhaps not the comfortable accommodations that are apparently now provided for during basic training, it will allows us to survive."

"Recommendations, of course," I say turning to Leatherleaf, "the decision is yours."

Reply #529
"Basic training?" I ask sweetly.  "Seeing as how I aint a soldier, I dunno what you're talking about."

Reply #530
Who but chair jockeys would choose a child for a soldier's work.

• oblivion
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #531
The lady acquiesced so easily, I wonder if I've been played.  Played again, I remind myself wryly.  It's too late to wrest more coin, no doubt.

"Skeleton Hand.  Scepter of Shadows."  Titles like these might be bestowed on dozens of artifacts on any hillside or under the rubble of any ruin.

I wrack my memory, trying to bring some focus to elusive rumors I dimly recall.

[history 1d20+10 = 20+10 = 30]

[Noice.]

As a student of history, you are more aware than the average Karrn of how tenuous the Karrnathi position was before the undead armies were first raised.  But every Karrn, indeed any adult in the Five Nations, knows the bare bones of the story:  Karrnath, strong in martial prowess and bravery, with all citizenry on war footing, fighting fiercely but still being gnawed away by famine, beset on all sides by well-fed armies of populous nations, civilians and soldiers alike falling rapidly to disease, hunger, and enemy weapons.  And then, a brilliant masterstroke:  turning this weakness into an indomitable strength - armies of soldiers who that don't need food, that don't feel pain, whose number swell ever greater with every living person who falls. 

This is true enough, if coated now in a layer of mythologizing and oversimplification, but you know that in the early days, the art and science of necromancy was not the clean, regimented thing the Karrnathi military practices today, taught in academies, regulated by law.  It was a few naturally talented individuals and taboo breakers driving the endeavor, and more often than not, they seized upon whatever fell magics and powers they could, by whatever foul means required.  Wasn't the Skeleton Hand the name of the legendary weapon of some warlord of that period? 

You're uncertain - this recollection has a few holes in it, not the least of which is that Rose speaks as though this were an artifact from some bygone era, not the last century, and the fact that the name Skeleton Hand is the kind of grim bravado a Karrnathi warlord might come up with of from his own imagination, no connection necessarily needed to this particular object.  But it might be a place to begin research, at least.  Should you find somewhere one could conduct such research.

An antiquity that might date back to the very dawn of the Dead.  Even if I could pass up the coin, what could be learned from such an artifact?

I squelch rising excitement about the job, but I'm hooked like a river fish.  I shrug  "I'll do it."

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #532
An antiquity that might date back to the very dawn of the Dead.  Even if I could pass up the coin, what could be learned from such an artifact?

I squelch rising excitement about the job, but I'm hooked like a river fish.  I shrug  "I'll do it."

She nods, and reaches into her satchel to pass a slim portfolio across the table to Ivello.  "Maps, sketches, a list of the soldiers we believe were sent.  You'll want to memorize and destroy the papers before you meet up with party, except the forged letter of introduction from General ir'Dulinch, of course."  She looks him over.  "You only reached the rank of corporal?  If none of them already know you or know of you, you may wish to promote yourself."  She shrugs.  "But it's up to you how you wish to run this con.  It shouldn't require too much acting; your interests are wholly aligned with theirs - until after you retrieve the artifact and get off the mountain.  And by then, you'll be gone."

• oblivion
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #533
I shrug at the comment about my rank and reach for the portfolio.  "Not cut out for the military, but it's...inescapable.  For now."

Flipping through the maps, I ask, "Where do I meet the party?"

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #534
I shrug at the comment about my rank and reach for the portfolio.  "Not cut out for the military, but it's...inescapable.  For now."

Flipping through the maps, I ask, "Where do I meet the party?"

"To the best of our knowledge they only recently left or are leaving Fort Deepdark. There are only so many places one can safely cross the lightning rail tracks with beasts of burden.  I expect they'll be making for one of these bridges - most likely this one - " she taps the map - "Unless they plan to go to Irontown first.  Were it me, I would start by attempting to intercept them at a crossing or en route to Irontown, and if unsuccessful, pursue them toward their resupply point in Lakeside."

Reply #535
"As for a cover story, posing as traveling mercenaries creates potential conflict with local constabularies, sentries and patrols."

I consider Olegov for a moment.

"However, a vassal of Kol Korran would travel with a security attachment, especially if he were transporting an important spiritual artifact, " I look toward Mari, "to a remote temple for re-dedication."

I shrug.  "It's worked before."

"Hm. Oleg? Could we pull that sort of ruse off easily? I do speak Dwarven, as do others among us, so there's that as some degree of confirmation."

"Hmmm... Yes, it could work. It seems plausible enough. We would just need to work out a few details."

Reply #536
"Let's see. Korunda Gate lies in the general direction we are traveling. As a sizable dwarven city with a large Kundarak enclave, there are bound to be multiple temples to Kol Korran there. That could be our destination, if anybody asks."

Reply #537
"I better say I'm fifteen," I contribute.  "Or else they're gonna want to know why I aint in the army."

[Fourteen or fifteen is, indeed, entirely believable, given Astra's physical state.]

Reply #538
"And I'm an important spiritual artifact? I can work with that."

Not sure about the 'artifact' part, but hey, I've been called worse. "So, given my spiritual importance, I guess a certain degree of respect is in order. Maybe even reverence!"

Reply #539
"Don't push your luck Mari. I don't want to wake up with the youngling picking my pocket on her way to execute a clever plan involving bottomless lakes or some such."

Reply #540
I spin to face the ghost, my eyes narrowed.  "You're gonna leave the people there alone," I say flatly, speaking directly to her for the first - only, if it's up to me - time.  "Anyone else we meet too.  You aint gonna... gonna make 'em think that maybe ghosts aint so bad after all, that maybe it's safe for 'em to mess with your kind.  I aint gonna let you get anyone killed, not when we're here or after we left, so just watch yourself."

Reply #541
"Don't push your luck Mari. I don't want to wake up with the youngling picking my pocket on her way to execute a clever plan involving bottomless lakes or some such."

[ :sadcheer: ]

Reply #542
I spin to face the ghost, my eyes narrowed.  "You're gonna leave the people there alone," I say flatly, speaking directly to her for the first - only, if it's up to me - time.  "Anyone else we meet too.  You aint gonna... gonna make 'em think that maybe ghosts aint so bad after all, that maybe it's safe for 'em to mess with your kind.  I aint gonna let you get anyone killed, not when we're here or after we left, so just watch yourself."

"Yeah, we wouldn't want anyone thinking, would we?" I retort dryly. "They might reach their own conclusions about things. Can't have that."

Reply #543
I turn away again, done talking to her now that I gave my warning.  "Getting dark," I comment to Leatherleaf.  "If we're gonna go, should be soon so's we can still get some distance and make camp easy enough if they turn us away."

Reply #544
"Let's see. Korunda Gate lies in the general direction we are traveling. As a sizable dwarven city with a large Kundarak enclave, there are bound to be multiple temples to Kol Korran there. That could be our destination, if anybody asks."

I put my hand up to halt the group and twist around in my saddle. "Plausible enough? By this story  Yourself, Valenae, Pepper and me are explained. Why are we hauling along a girl too young to have enlisted? Someone's daughter? Pepper's, or mine, brought along for the cultural experience?" I may sound mildly sarcastic, but a few shared details matter if you're going to offer a group-supported subterfuge.

Reply #545
"Pepper! A fast recon around the farm, if you would."

Reply #546

I put my hand up to halt the group and twist around in my saddle. "Plausible enough? By this story  Yourself, Valenae, Pepper and me are explained. Why are we hauling along a girl too young to have enlisted? Someone's daughter? Pepper's, or mine, brought along for the cultural experience?" I may sound mildly sarcastic, but a few shared details matter if you're going to offer a group-supported subterfuge.

"I been working since I was a kid, and fighting - serious, like - since I was twelve," I exclaim, stung.  "Fifteen's plenty old enough; whatever we're saying we are, I'd've earned my place."

Reply #547
"Truth hardly matters under the circumstances. I have great faith in you as a valuable asset, but I'm not entirely sure it would fly with a rural farmer, used to seeing girls like you only in the milk barn and the scullery."

Reply #548
"Pepper! A fast recon around the farm, if you would."

"Aye."

A few low whistles to Creon sends him in a loop around the farmstead counter clockwise, while I make my round clockwise.

[Perception for Pepper to see what she can see: 8+13 = 21]
[Perception for Creon to see what he can see: 6+7 = 13]
[Pepper's Animal Handling for Creon: 11+13 = 24]
[Stealth for Pepper: 3+13 = 16]
[Stealth for Creon: 13+2 = 15]

Reply #549
"Rural farmers been hiring me since I was twelve, too," I reply through gritted teeth.  "You seen lots of milkers wearing armour and carrying swords, ma'am?  Cause unless you want me leaving 'em behind, be kinda hard to pass me off as someone useless."