Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 597882 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #650
"This situation compromises the mission," I announce, "we have no means to test the veracity of the Sending, and no means to verify our contact.  I recommend we reconnoiter the Pasarel bridge but do not make contact with this replacement.  The target will likely stand out from any local traffic.  Once identified we can observe and determine if the target should either be contacted or rendered for interrogation.  Either way, I recommend we divert from our original intended course and proceed due north to the mountains."

Reply #651
"Leave for a family emergency," I say, flatly and openly, once Leatherleaf is gone.  "That's real nice for the major.  Real generous of 'em."

Then I storm over to a large pile of loose hay on the far side of the barn and start violently making up a sort of bed for myself, face a thundercloud.

Reply #652
[The next morning ... unless the DM plans an encounter ...]

I rise before the roosters, and pat them on their sleeping heads.  I strip down, stretch, pt, stretch some more, and spend time carefully cleaning my armor and weapons.  Dressed and satisfied my gear is in order, I take Creon out to walk the perimeter of the farm and take in the silence of the morning.  Creon bounds after rabbits, playing a happy game of 'herd the bunnies.'

[Perception: 12+13 = 25 to see what I can see]
[Nature: 19+13 = 32 to check out all the farm animals and see that they are healthy and happy]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #653
[Perception: 12+13 = 25 to see what I can see]
[Nature: 19+13 = 32 to check out all the farm animals and see that they are healthy and happy]

The animals are indeed healthy, although you suspect the chickens would prefer to heed the call of the wild rather than stay cooped up in their coop.  Inadvisable in the best of times, even more dangerous this time of year, but no one ever said chickens were wise creatures.

There is smoke puffing from the chimney of the farmhouse.  All else is calm and quiet, still wreathed in the last remnants of morning fog.  Mistress Sattler emerges from the house, lugging a steaming kettle.  "Kasha," she says by way of greeting as she approaches, gesturing with the kettle.  "You folks need anything else before you move on?"

Not exactly subtle, but hey, at least she brought breakfast.

Reply #654
"Sir," I say quietly to the corporal, as we're packing up in the morning.  "The farmers.  They put us up, yeah?"

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #655
"Sir," I say quietly to the corporal, as we're packing up in the morning.  "The farmers.  They put us up, yeah?"

"Er yes," I say, still thinking about the Major's departure. "What of it?"

Reply #656
"So we gotta pay them," I state firmly.  "I only paid for the last group, last night.  Figured I shouldn't go to the - to Olegov direct, yeah?"

Reply #657
"You folks need anything else before you move on?"

"Your animals are in good order.  As are we.  We shall break camp soon and leave."

"..."

"Thank you for your hospitality Old Mother. "

Returning to the barn with the steaming kettle, I announce to the others, "Breakfast.  We need to leave soon and make haste for the Pasarel bridge so we arrive before our target."

Reply #658
"What target?" I ask, confused.

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #659
"So we gotta pay them," I state firmly.  "I only paid for the last group, last night.  Figured I shouldn't go to the - to Olegov direct, yeah?"

"Don't you have money for these eventualities? Are you trying to get more from me?"

Reply #660
"This situation compromises the mission," I announce, "we have no means to test the veracity of the Sending, and no means to verify our contact.  I recommend we reconnoiter the Pasarel bridge but do not make contact with this replacement.  The target will likely stand out from any local traffic.  Once identified we can observe and determine if the target should either be contacted or rendered for interrogation.  Either way, I recommend we divert from our original intended course and proceed due north to the mountains."

Kol Korral's gilded beard, we've lost our ranking officer, leaving me in charge--Bah!

"That's a sound plan, Palatinate. I'll settle up with the farmers, as Astra suggested, and we shall depart."

I head off to the farmer's hovel, ledger and receipt book in hand.

Reply #661
"What target?" I ask, confused.

"'Target' is Pepper-speak for 'thing which is still alive'", I explain. "Hadn't you noticed?"

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #662

Kol Korral's gilded beard, we've lost our ranking officer, leaving me in charge--Bah!

"That's a sound plan, Palatinate. I'll settle up with the farmers, as Astra suggested, and we shall depart."

I head off to the farmer's hovel, ledger and receipt book in hand.

Mistress Sattler steps outside in response to your knock.  "Yes?" she says guardedly.

Reply #663
"Good day, ma'am," I say cheerfully to our kind host, "We are departing shortly and we wish to settle accounts. How much do we owe you?"

I stand ready with receipt book, pen, and coinpurse in hand.
  • Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 01:31:34 PM by Diogenes

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #664
She gives him an are you for real?  is this a trick? look, then says, "Three silvers a night per head.  But the undying lady is free."

Reply #665
"The undying lady? Ah yes, thank you. I wasn't sure how she tallied into this. Let see..."

I sweep the beads of the steel abacus hanging from my belt to one side, then flick several this way and that.

"Hmmm... five heads at three silver a piece... plus 10 percent gratuity... that comes to... one gold, six silver, five copper."

I scribble the total on my receipt pad. "I've taken the liberty of writing a receipt on behalf of your establishment. If you wouldn't mind putting your mark here, please, and you can keep a copy for your own records, in case a tax collector pays you a visit."

I count out a dozen coins from the pouch to her, "And here is your payment. Kol Korran's blessings be with you and good day, ma'am."

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #666
"The undying lady? Ah yes, thank you. I wasn't sure how she tallied into this. Let see..."

I sweep the beads of the steel abacus hanging from my belt to one side, then flick several this way and that.

"Hmmm... five heads at three silver a piece... plus 10 percent gratuity... that comes to... one gold, six silver, five copper."

I scribble the total on my receipt pad. "I've taken the liberty of writing a receipt on behalf of your establishment. If you wouldn't mind putting your mark here, please, and you can keep a copy for your own records, in case a tax collector pays you a visit."

I count out a dozen coins from the pouch to her, "And here is your payment. Kol Korran's blessings be with you and good day, ma'am."

Mildly amused now, she accepts the coins and, and signs her name in the careful, perfect script of someone who learned to write, and has very seldom used the skill since.  "Thank you, and safe travels," she replies, keeping a straight face.

Reply #667
Our business concluded, I whistle a quiet hymn to myself while walking back to our company.

She seemed bemused by the whole transaction. That's alright. At least she is happier and wealthier than when we arrived. Ah yes, the Sacrement of Exchange, the Miracle of Currency, the True Meaning of Money--that's what life is all about.

Arriving back at the barn, I inform the others. "Our business here is done. We may depart."

Reply #668
I sit astride my clawfoot, the mule in tow, eager to move, "Acknowledged.  Ready to go."

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #669
[Off we go!  Give me any checks you want to make while traveling, and tell anything we should know about what you're doing as you travel, and I'll narrate some journey here.]

Reply #670
[What do I need to roll to have Fondue follow us?]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #671
(lol.  Nature?)

Reply #672
[Perception: 12+13 = 25 to check for threats]
[Perception: 11+13 = 24 to see what I can see]
[Perception: 14+13+4 = 31 to watch for tracks of any of the preceding parties]
[Stealth: 14+14 = 28 to cover Pepper's tracks]
[Perception: 11+13 = 24 to look for good hiding/ambush places once we reach the bridge]

Reply #673
(lol.  Nature?)

[Oh, what the hell ...]

[Nature: 19+13 = 32]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #674
(lol.  Nature?)

[Oh, what the hell ...]

[Nature: 19+13 = 32]

Fondue jumps the fence and begins following the party as they proceed northeast, letting out little goat shrieks as she goes.

[I'll give the others a bit to input some checks/narration before I blah blah your next segment here]