Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 589991 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #1150
When the wagon is out of earshot, I ask Karlach, "Sir, have you been briefed on our mission?"
"I have not," Karlach replies, then nods over to where Astra has his tall, rounded tent set up, smoke issuing from a hole in the centre of the roof.  "Join me," he invites as he takes his satchel down from his horse, then with a glance at Pepper, adds, "We will be remaining here for the night, Sergeant Palatinate; I trust you can handle acquiring game for our repast?"  Without waiting for a reply, he executes a neat turn and heads into his tent.
  • Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:12:29 PM by jussr

Reply #1151
I raise and eyebrow in response and shoot an inquiring look at Oleg?

Reply #1152
I nod at Palatinate before joining Karlach in the tent. "General ir'Dulinch gave us orders to explore the mountain source of Iceflow River, north of Lakeside, to recover an artifact called Object 17. And to locate and recover lost personnel who failed to return from earlier missions with the same objective."

Reply #1153
"Artifact," Karlach states as he sits down near the central fire on a stool come from gods know where.  He gestures Olegov towards the second one and retrieves a rolled case from his satchel, pulling forth a map of Karrnath which he folds and then rests upon the small sidetable between the two seats.  "And what do we know of this artifact?"

Reply #1154
"We were shown a sketch of it from a old textbook," I say while taking a seat. "It would be difficult to judge its size based on the sketch, as no scale was given, but its form appeared to be roughly rod-shaped and baroquely decayed. The general said the artifact was necromantic in nature."

"As an officer, I take it you have no qualms with necromancy? Our undead reserves, for example?"

Reply #1155
"I do not," Karlach replies, smiling briefly as though amused.  "And you, Captain Olegov?  Do you have... qualms about our mission?  As my second in this, I do hope you will feel free to come to me with any concerns."

Reply #1156
"Sirs," I acknowledge as the two (apparently) officers stride by me.

Hells.

I disappear into the dusk for a time, hunting game for the evening's repast.

[Nature: 19+13 = 32]

Reply #1157
"As an unordained priest of the Sovereign Host, I suppose I ought to have qualms about the nature of our mission."

I unconsciously raise a hand to grasp the holy symbol behind my beard.

"However, as Kol Korran is my patron, I recognize there are--economic advantages to the dead serving after they have lived. One could even argue it would be more ethical to have the dead fight our wars than the living."

"As a chaplain," I ponder, turning the golden disk in my hand, "I do wonder if the young soldier Astra has been... sheltered from these realities. Taking risks is admirable, especially when they are commensurate with hazard pay. But I am concerned she has taken on more than is bearable, and may be better off relieved of duty and returned home."

"No, I have no qualms about our mission objective. There was... a rumor those foreign brigands told..."

Reply #1158
Seeing everybody else otherwise occupied, I pop the journal down in front of me and start leafing through it.

[Insight check on the contents: 20 + 14 = 34]

Reply #1159
"A rumor?" Karlach asks.  He pulls a half-sized bottle of wine from his satchel, along with a box which proves to contain two thick crystal tumblers, well-protected by padding.  Holding up the bottle, he raises an eyebrow at Olegov in silent question.

Reply #1160
I nod in approval of the offered wine. "Yes, a rumor, I say, and not a fact, since no evidence was given. Our captors said there are factions within Karrnath that oppose the king, and named the general as a member of one of those factions."

Reply #1161
Silently, Karlach opens and pours the wine as he considers this, passing one over to Olegov.  "And the identity of your captors?" he asks finally, sipping his drink.  "We will certainly pay no heed to baseless rumours that give insult to a fine general and nobleman, but I expect I hardly need say how alarming it would prove to be, were there even the smallest grain of truth to such an accusation."

[History check for whether Karlach has heard any rumours of this sort before in his career/social circle: 13+11=24]
  • Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 06:49:47 PM by jussr

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1162

Hells.

Does Khorvaire have moose?  If so, congrats, you shot a nice fat one.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1163
[History check for whether Karlach has heard any rumours of this sort before in his career/social circle: 13+11=24]

It is well-known that ir'Dulinch favors a much more hawkish approach and is one of those who speaks nostalgically of the innovative and aggressive policies of the king's grandfather, Kaius I.  These are fairly common stances among both the nobility and the military elite, though, so they have not led to widespread speculation about Dulinch's loyalty.

Reply #1164

Hells.

[How about a few brace of fat pheasants instead?  I don't think Pepper has time to dress a moose and still get in an extended rest.]

Reply #1165
"By their accents, they were not from Karrn. They were well-armed, disciplined, and religious. They did address each other by name... Atrelioth... Zoder... Tarravan... though they could be code-names. Also, beyond our own king's interest in the artifact, and the purported rebel faction, a death cult has interest in the artifact as well, so they said."

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1166

Hells.

[How about a few brace of fat pheasants instead?  I don't think Pepper has time to dress a moose and still get in an extended rest.]

[Sure, why not.  Wouldn't want Pepper getting arrested for Wanton Waste.]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1167
Seeing everybody else otherwise occupied, I pop the journal down in front of me and start leafing through it.

[Insight check on the contents: 20 + 14 = 34]

[Just wanted to let you know I didn't miss this.  I wrote some journal entries out but they're on my computer at home - will post them later today :) ]

Reply #1168
"By their accents, they were not from Karrn. They were well-armed, disciplined, and religious. They did address each other by name... Atrelioth... Zoder... Tarravan... though they could be code-names. Also, beyond our own king's interest in the artifact, and the purported rebel faction, a death cult has interest in the artifact as well, so they said."

"Foreign agents operating on Karrnathi soil and attacking our soldiers?"  Karlach's voice is a hiss; he leans forward, gazing at Olegov intently.  "Their accents, Captain, their religious beliefs.  What did you recognise or note that might help us divine their allegiances?"

Reply #1169
I return with six plump pheasants, dress them and then ... use the burning remains of the inn to cook three for tonight's meal and smoke the other three for travel.

Reply #1170
"Yes, hmm... yes," I ponder, turning the crystal tumbler in my hand, its facets sparkling from the nearby flames. "They spoke of the 'Divine Light' and wielded radiance as a weapon against us. They spoke of us as heathen, though in their midst I had introduced myself to the innkeeper as a priest of Kol Korran.  So I would assume they were not believers of the Sovereign Host. Their accents..."

[Religion Roll(1d20)+9: 10,+9, Total:19
Insight Roll(1d20)+12: 14,+12, Total:26
to try to puzzle out accents, and behavior of our captors as it may relate to religion]
  • Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:35:56 PM by Diogenes

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1171
"Yes, hmm... yes," I ponder, turning the crystal tumbler in my hand, its facets sparkling from the nearby flames. "They spoke of the 'Divine Light' and wielded radiance as a weapon against us. They spoke of us as heathen, though in their midst I had introduced myself to the innkeeper as a priest of Kol Korran.  So I would assume they were not believers of the Sovereign Host. Their accents..."

[Religion Roll(1d20)+9: 10,+9, Total:19
Insight Roll(1d20)+12: 14,+12, Total:26
to try to puzzle out accents, and behavior of our captors as it may relate to religion]

Reply #1172
I quarter the roasted pheasants and place half on a board that is not quite completely charred and approach the tent.

"Sirs," I address them upon entering and place the board before the two men, then at ease, waiting for my dismissal.

Reply #1173
"Sergeant, what did you make of those who attacked you earlier this day?" Karlach asks as Olegov ponders, clearing the map off the little table to make room for the food and pulling from his bag a plate, knife, and fork of plain, sturdy metal, as suited for travel as the glasses were not.

Reply #1174
"The Silver Flame!" I exclaim, as the scent of game bird permeates the air.

Regarding the charred squab on plank, I turn to Palatinate and say, "Well done, Sergeant."