Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 598026 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #175
I give her a fractional nod. "Make sure all are alert. Agreed, exit it is."
  • Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:07:06 PM by borealis

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #176
As you approach the hallway to the left, the sound becomes louder and more distinct - an overlapping swoosh-swoosh, swoosh-swoosh, many swooshes at once, some out of pattern, creating a wall of sound, but an overall rhythm emerging from the overall effect. 

Oleg, Pepper, Astra and Mari also hear...faint voices?  maybe?...nearly drowned out by the "waves."

Reply #177
"Yes, about those 'unknown capabilities'," I mention quietly while we attempt our exit. "I am a servant of the Sovereign Host--unordained, mind you--nevertheless, they have seen fit to bestowing upon me gifts necessary to smite our enemies and heal our allies with divine power. Wait--did anyone else here a swooshing?"

Reply #178
In fluid motion I drop both cases and kick the larger one open with a boot. I extract from it a long crossbow looking thing but one without the cross member. Then I kick open the smaller case and pull out a metallic box which I insert into the bottom of the weapon. I pull out two more boxes of the same nature and fasten them to my belt.

A quick whistle to Creon and he stalks into the shadows behind me.

"Squad. Prepare for action. If you can defend. On the flanks left and right. Strikers to the fore. I'll take rearguard. Double time to the exit on the Major's command."

Reply #179
I take a bare second to unloose the knot holding my bow, not that it's terribly useful down here, at the same time saying. "Let's go, quickly and watchfully. NOW." I pick up my pace, alert, all thoughts of sleep swept aside.

Reply #180
I roll my eyes when no one's looking - twitchy lot for being in friendly territory - but nevertheless draw my sword and a handaxe, moving up to guard the group's left.

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #181
I mutter under my breath and move to the front drawing my crossbow as I walk.

"What is it sir? I can't make anything out."

[Arcana check for magic anything: 4 + 14 = 18]
  • Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:26:15 AM by Aden

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #182
"Er, Captain sir, in deference to our undead friend, perhaps smiting undead en masse may not be a good idea," I say looking over at the Captain and indicating the pretty ghost.

[Diplomacy: 16 + 12 = 28]

Reply #183
"Sounds like a great idea to me," I mutter.

Reply #184
"The exit to the right looks clear", I say, instinctively taking up position on the right flank, and uncoiling my whip. "Forward sounds more interesting, though."

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #185
"Er, Captain sir, in deference to our undead friend, perhaps smiting undead en masse may not be a good idea," I say looking over at the Captain and indicating the pretty ghost.

Mari alone can tell that Valenae isn't being entirely ingenuous here.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #186
[Arcana check for magic anything: 4 + 14 = 18]

You don't see anything magical in the immediate vicinity.  You are, however, aware that the non-sentient undead are very literal and persistent, so their effectiveness tends to be dependent on how skilled their masters are at formulating orders.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #187
As you enter line of sight with the tunnel to the left, those of you with darkvision (Mari and Valenae - anyone else?) can, in the distance, clearly see the source of the ocean noise, or at least a slice of it.  The rest of you, with low-light vision, can catch just the shadows of it, at the very limits of your torchlight.

The carved hall opens into a huge natural unlit cavern, of which a small portion is visible to you through the opening.  Even in just that field of view, you can see dozens - hundreds? - of skeleton warriors.  Almost all of them are in neat, close-packed rows, standing passively - think terracotta soldiers - but a handful mill aimlessly through your field of view, perhaps those who were given vague or conflicting orders, leading to disorganized behavior?  Or perhaps - and this thought gives you a little chill - the ones moving around maintain some tiny echo of self and will, trapped in an otherwise barely functional mind?  The rhythmic wooshing noise comes from the countless undead's slow, small shifting to maintain balance, against the many micro-disturbances - wind, vibrations, the motion of neighbors.  The rows of undead waver slightly in place, in wave, like cilia, as they stand there.

Near where the corridor meets the cavern, there is a table with a tiny handful of undead seated around it, different from the others.  They're awake.  And...playing cards?

Most of the cards players ignore you, but one waves a skeletal hand in a friendly wave.
  • Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:05:39 AM by Teshi

Reply #188
I wave back with a smile.

"Should've come down here ages ago", I say to nobody in particular.

Reply #189
I clench my jaw and my grip on my weapons both, then carefully nod to the waving skeleton.  It's fine.  They're all bound, it's fine.  All ten fucking thousand of them.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #190
You hear similar rustling coming from behind the closed door beside you on the right - not as massive, but a LOT closer.
  • Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 03:15:20 AM by Teshi

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #191
Okay, skeletons. thousands of them. We're going to need a bigger army.

Are they playing cards? Did that one just put down a full house?

This is interesting.

Better wait for some direction from on high.

Reply #192
To serve even unto death and beyond.

*goosebumps*

I suppress fantasizing immolating the entire chamber and return my focus to the present. 

Not aggressive. Not trustworthy. Keep moving.

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #193
"What do we do Sarge? I've never seen controlled Skeletroops playing cards Ma'am."

Reply #194
"Could always ask them if we can join", I suggest hopefully.

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #195
"You a gambler Ma'am?" I ask, wondering how a ghost holds cards.

Reply #196
"We keep moving until ordered otherwise. These ... Do not concern us."

Reply #197
"Ghost seems happy staying here, sir," I murmur to Corporal Valenae, mindful of his weird liking for the unbound undead.  I keep my eyes on the skeletons, both due to their numbers and so as not to be staring suspiciously at the ghost.  "Might be better all around?"
  • Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:58:35 AM by jussr

Reply #198
"You a gambler Ma'am?" I ask, wondering how a ghost holds cards.

"We all are, apparently", I reply. "Else we wouldn't be here doing...whatever it is we're doing. I wasn't really listening."

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #199
"Ghost seems happy staying here, sir," I murmur to Corporal Valenae, mindful of his weird liking for the unbound undead.  I keep my eyes on the skeletons, both due to their numbers and so as not to be staring suspiciously at the ghost.  "Might be better all around?"

I shoot a warning glance at her. Superiors everywhere.