Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 595463 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #675

Reply #676
"No, little goat," l say. "Go home. Where we are going is not safe for little goats."

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #677
The goat bleats belligerently, unimpressed by this argument.

Reply #678
I sigh, stopping and calling loudly, "Mistress Sattler?"

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #679
Sattler steps out from the house, and takes in the scene.  "Are you...borrowing the goat?" she inquires, in a very, very non-judgmental tone.

Reply #680
"It jumped the fence and started following," I reply, nudging the goat in her direction.  "You might wanna tether it."

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #681
"All right, goat," she says, going and collaring the animal.

Reply #682
Wheeling around my clawfoot I cry, "Halt!" It's an instinctive reaction, and it knocks my more disciplined and structured self prone.

My eyes dart from Sattler to Fondue to Creon and back to the old women.

"Old Mother, I do not have gold to offer you.  I will trade you my dog for the goat."

Primitive unspoken motivations are at work here. 

"Creon is a fine beast.  An excellent worker.  A brave protector.  He will serve you well.  And your farm and family will be an adequate reward for his service."

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #683
"Ma'am," Sattler says, "this is a terrible goat.  She's a lousy milker, rude, and has no sense of self-preservation.  That would not be a fair trade for you.  Are you sure?"

Reply #684
I raise an eyebrow.  Some ancient portion of my being it taken aback by the suggestion that the goat is anything but noble.

"I assure you, Old Mother, I do not make this offer frivolously.  I am certain."

Reply #685
I stare at the sergeant incredulously.  "What the fuck.  You taking up farming, cause I thought we was doing a job here."

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #686
I raise an eyebrow.  Some ancient portion of my being it taken aback by the suggestion that the goat is anything but noble.

"I assure you, Old Mother, I do not make this offer frivolously.  I am certain."

Sattler, still staring in bafflement, nods agreement.  "All right, then,"  She leaves off the last bit, the clearly implied crazy person.

Reply #687
I shoot a look of mute appeal at the captain.

Reply #688
"Palatinate," I say, quizzically eyeing the horned beast, while leaning in to whisper to the sergeant, "does this creature offer some tactical benefit to our mission?"

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #689
"We can eat it if we get hungry, I guess."

Reply #690
"Palatinate," I say, quizzically eyeing the horned beast, while leaning in to whisper to the sergeant, "does this creature offer some tactical benefit to our mission?"

Ignoring the others I turn obediently toward the address of my commanding officer, "We are headed into the mountains.  I know those mountains.  I will need a sure-footed companion.  Creon has served me well for what has been.  She," I nod towards Fondue, "will serve me for what will be."

I turn away from the chaplain and set my eyes on Fondue, "Call this a hunter's instinct.  Trust me on this."

Reply #691
"Hmm... yes... I have seen goats leaping in the Ironroot Mountains, myself. And I trust your judgement on this. The animal has my approval."

Reply #692
"You know that's a dairy goat, right Pepper?" I say.  "Not a mountain goat.  Don't know if you been around 'em much, but it's a farm animal, and it'll be loud."  Also it's kinda mean to just trade away your dog like that, I think, eyeing the critter.

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #693
"Excuse me Mistress, may I buy your dog from you? I see that it has had multiple owners, it's a bit old. Could be a bit of mange behind the ear there. Wouldn't have long left to live, last legs and all that. How much would you like?"

Reply #694
"Excuse me Mistress, may I buy your dog from you? I see that it has had multiple owners, it's a bit old. Could be a bit of mange behind the ear there. Wouldn't have long left to live, last legs and all that. How much would you like?"

Creon growls.

Reply #695
I hope of my clawfoot and smartly march Creon over to the old woman.  I turn to Creon, come to attention and salute him, "Dismissed."  After I take off his harness he pads over to Sattler and comes to heel beside her.

"He should have you trained within a few weeks if you are attentive."

I about face and move to fix the harness on Fondue.

[Animal Handling 14+13 = 27]

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #696
Being a domestic goat, she's quite tame.  She tolerates this readily.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #697

"I would just like you to leave, please," Sattler says, with dignity.

Reply #698
[*pushes fast travel button*]

Reply #699
"OK," l say as we get underway, "so we have a goat now. That's...good, l guess?"