Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: New campaign signup! (Read 50666 times) previous topic - next topic

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Re: New campaign signup!
Reply #50
how are we choosing stats?

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #51
how are we choosing stats?

Points buy, please!  Video game style, yo

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #52
How about skill checks to scavange parts and ingredients? Make each ritual, potion, or thing a challenge. That substitutes time, circumstance and luck for cash and allows us poor soldiers to do stuff without carrying around mountains of arcane flux.

[edited because I shouldn't phone post]

Yeah, that makes sense.  If anyone wants to play an artificer or someone into potions or rituals or whatever, lemme know and we'll figure out something reasonably fair and functional :)

Reply #53
What are the military etiquettes of the Karrnathian armed forces?

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #54
Imagine Imperial Russia and Soviet Russia had a better-funded baby that enthusiastically embraced Prussian virtues.  Plus zombies. 
  • Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 08:11:43 PM by Teshi

Reply #55
Can I borrow an Insider login? I cancelled mine ages ago due to lack of use.

Done.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #56
Since we are soldiers, do we have to worry about gear like bedrolls, etc ourselves or are you going to requisition a standard load-out for each of us?

Select one, appropriate to your character:  cloth armor, leather armor, hide armor, chainmail, scale armor, or plate armor
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Select a weapons loadout from among the following:  dagger, handaxe, spear, short sword, longsword, crossbow (and bolts), hand crossbow (and bolts), light shield, heavy shield

Everyone gets:  bedroll, torch, fannypack, flint and steel, waterskin, backpack, candles, trail rations, identification papers

As a party you also are issued two tents and two lengths of rope.

Any additional items your characters want to bring should come out of their own funds and/or magic item allotment. 

Did I overlook anything?

Reply #57
As a party you also are issued two tents...

Did I overlook anything?
Yes.  I don't cuddle.

Reply #58
(Are we not doing the "have as many mundane items as you like, within reason" thing, then?)

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #59
Hmm?

Reply #60
Choose Equipment and Magic Items.
Mundane equipment is much less important for higher level characters than it is when you're starting out. Choose whatever standard adventuring gear you want from the tables in the Player's Handbook. For magic items, choose one item of your level + 1, one item of your level, and one item of your level - 1. In addition, you have gold pieces equal to the value of one magic item of your level - 1. You can spend this money on rituals, potions, or other magic items, or save it for later.
PHB/other books since they didn't exist when this was written is how we've done it previously, I believe, but either way - other people who asked me how much gold we get this game, please note I fucked up and it's actually 1000, not 1800.  Sorry!

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #61
Quote from: Dungeon Master's Guide
Choose Equipment and Magic Items.
Mundane
equipment is much less important for higher level
characters than it is when you're starting out.
Choose whatever standard adventuring gear you
want from the tables in the Player's Handbook. For
magic items, choose one item of your level + 1, one
item of your level, and one item of your level - 1. In
addition, you have gold pieces equal to the value of
one magic item of your level - 1. You can spend this
money on rituals, potions, or other magic items, or
save it for later.

So as a level six character, you can pick a level 5 magic item, level 6 magic item, and level 7 magic item, and you get 1000 gp to spend or not spend as you see fit. 

As far as "standard adventuring equipment" goes, the compendium has a 1,250,000 gp item listed as "mundane equipment," so...lol.  There's been a lot of of stuff added since the original DMG.  Micromanaging carrying weight and how many copper pieces this or that would cost is unfun, so just be reasonable about what your character could and would afford and lug around.    Should you charge yourself for pencils and sandwiches, no, but lot of the compendium's mundane gear items are expensive and give bonuses similar to magic items, so if you want those, it makes sense to also take them out of your starting money.  Like, for example:

Tattlebugs (pair)
Category: Gear
Price: 250 gp
Description: When songs are sung in Senaliesse, the forests surrounding the city ring with beautiful echoes that emanate from the tattlebugs living in the trees. These scintillating beetles can mimic sound by rubbing their hind legs together.
    The mimicry of adult tattlebugs is almost indistinguishable from the originator of the sound, so they're often used as spying devices. When placed in sight of another of its kind, a tattlebug repeats everything it has heard in the last five minutes.

Also, as you're making your character, feel free keep an eye out for items you might like to receive as loot in the future.  If you don't send me a wishlist I'm liable to just give you the most ridiculous items I can find.

lol x-post, what justine said
  • Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:40:42 PM by Teshi

Reply #62

AKA someone else had better handle talking with NPCs this game!

Reply #63
, Stealth +14

The NPCs won't see me.

Reply #64
Speaking of not being seen ... hey, GM, how would you handle a PC who was completely blind?

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #65
Speaking of not being seen ... hey, GM, how would you handle a PC who was completely blind?

Hmm.  Off the top of my head, I'd say the PC would permanently have the Blinded condition, and it would be up to the player to build a character that functioned anyway (tremorsense?  seeing eye gelatinous cube familiar? )

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #66
There's the Blindfighting Sentinel feat...

Reply #67

Hmm.  Off the top of my head, I'd say the PC would permanently have the Blinded condition, and it would be up to the player to build a character that functioned anyway (tremorsense?  seeing eye gelatinous cube familiar? )

So what if said character were wearing the Robe of Eyes that prevents the character from being blinded?

Or had the blind fighting feats?

I like the seeing eye gelatinous cube familiar though.  I would name is J'Lol.

Reply #68
There's the Blindfighting Sentinel feat...

Exactly.  So you could have a blind character for role playing purposes who could still fight and function.

Reply #69
A blind sniper.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #70
Exactly.  So you could have a blind character for role playing purposes who could still fight and function.

It'd be up to the player how many feats, the background, etc. they wanted to spend adapting to the loss of the sense, is my thought.  I think someone could make a largely unhampered blind PC within the existing ruleset, especially if they picked the race and class carefully, but it'd require some finesse. 

I believe the Robe of Eyes would cancel out the Blinded condition, but if you make a character that's both blind and dressed in a thing that makes them non-blind that's kind of...well, whatever floats the player's boat, I suppose, lol. 
  • Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:36:45 PM by Teshi

Reply #71
Yep.

Reply #72
Blindfighting Sentinel and Blindfighting Warrior would take care of the combat disadvantages of the blinded condition except for inability to flank, so long as you were a melee fighter, but the bigger problem would be targeting enemies in the first place, I'd think; just because you're no longer taking -5 to hit doesn't mean they're not still invisible to you, so if they're capable of good stealth checks you could be in trouble.

Reply #73
How about a bard that finds things by echo-location?

Reply #74
Hey dio, you still planning on a cleric?