Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 589825 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #550
I shut my eyes, exasperated by the girl's resentful pride. "Suit yourself, then. And try to not mutter dark predictions about our 'sacred object' until we're well away tomorrow." I slap the reins on Chickadee's left side, wheel around and ride back to Oleg's side.

Reply #551
Well don't blame me cause your ideas are awful, I think sullenly, hunching my shoulders and staring down at the ground.

• oblivion
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #552
I shrug at the comment about my rank and reach for the portfolio.  "Not cut out for the military, but it's...inescapable.  For now."

Flipping through the maps, I ask, "Where do I meet the party?"

"To the best of our knowledge they only recently left or are leaving Fort Deepdark. There are only so many places one can safely cross the lightning rail tracks with beasts of burden.  I expect they'll be making for one of these bridges - most likely this one - " she taps the map - "Unless they plan to go to Irontown first.  Were it me, I would start by attempting to intercept them at a crossing or en route to Irontown, and if unsuccessful, pursue them toward their resupply point in Lakeside."

"Well then, it sounds like I can get a good night's sleep before heading out to seek the party.  Will you join me for a trencher and another Bloody Maril?"  I wave to the serving girl, who wends her way in our direction through the tables and benches.

I have little hope another drink will loosen "Rose's" tongue but I'm hungry.  And by damn, it's in her best interest to brief me thoroughly.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #553
"Aye."

A few low whistles to Creon sends him in a loop around the farmstead counter clockwise, while I make my round clockwise.

[Perception for Pepper to see what she can see: 8+13 = 21]
[Perception for Creon to see what he can see: 6+7 = 13]
[Pepper's Animal Handling for Creon: 11+13 = 24]
[Stealth for Pepper: 3+13 = 16]
[Stealth for Creon: 13+2 = 15]

You see an ordinary peasant farmstead, although it's not approved to call the peasants peasants here in Karrnath - that's the kind of snobbery you'd expect from an Aundarian or resident of Sharn, it is.  It looks to be new-built, the simple cabin and barn still the mellow yellow of unpainted, not-yet-weathered wood, and no grain storage yet constructed - it's likely the residents arrived this summer, built, and are preparing to attempt their first crops after winter.  Indeed, you see three people working on clearing brush and trees for a field - from their heights, likely humans or half-elves - and one person hammering away on the near-finished barn's roof.   A gaggle of goats, poultry, and two sturdy ponies make up the visible livestock.  All very ordinary.  You see a few glances cast in your direction, but unworried and not very interested - they assume you to be some wildlife crunching through the underbrush.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #554
"Well then, it sounds like I can get a good night's sleep before heading out to seek the party.  Will you join me for a trencher and another Bloody Maril?"  I wave to the serving girl, who wends her way in our direction through the tables and benches.

I have little hope another drink will loosen "Rose's" tongue but I'm hungry.  And by damn, it's in her best interest to brief me thoroughly.

Rose gives a look that is far too classy to be described as ugh, but does boil down to ugh.  Her eyes flicker to her untouched drink as though surprised to see it in front of her.  "As enticing as a 'trencher' sounds..." she replies, then says, "one more item for you."  From a pocket, she draws out a small red stone - garnet or ruby? you can't tell from here - in a gold setting shaped to resemble the petals of flower.  It's larger than a stud, but smaller than the average cufflink - a size suitable for a modest earring or a tietack.  "This is yours.  If you see anyone wearing the same, you may approach them - discreetly - for assistance."  She tilts her head and you see that a pair pierce her ears - hers are definitely rubies, though.  "Now, I believe that concludes our business."

[Time for any last minute questions or checks, if you have them, ob!]

Reply #555
Our circuit complete, Creon and I link up and quietly rejoin the waiting group.

"Recce successful.  No detection," I report to Leatherleaf, "Four humanoids were observed at the farmstead.  It is new.  There is shelter and provision."

"We could disengage now, undetected and they would be none the wiser," I suggest with perhaps an inflection of hopefulness in my voice.  "Or," I continue reluctantly," we could approach with little concern for opposition.  They do appear to be ordinary farmers." 

• oblivion
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #556
The little earring frightens me a little.  Of course, it's obvious Rose belongs to a well-financed organization, with members in unexpected places.  And now, I'm apparently part of it, for good or ill.

A red flower, what does it mean?  What organization (or cult) uses this symbol? 

"Is this safe to wear as an every day bauble?" I ask Rose.

[history check 1d20 +10 = 11+10 = 21
Insight check 1d20 + 9 = 3+9 = 12
diplomacy check 1d20 + 12 = 4+12 = 16
perception check 1d20+7 = 4 + 7 = 11

sigh]

Reply #557
Our circuit complete, Creon and I link up and quietly rejoin the waiting group.

"Recce successful.  No detection," I report to Leatherleaf, "Four humanoids were observed at the farmstead.  It is new.  There is shelter and provision."

"We could disengage now, undetected and they would be none the wiser," I suggest with perhaps an inflection of hopefulness in my voice.  "Or," I continue reluctantly," we could approach with little concern for opposition.  They do appear to be ordinary farmers." 

"Thanks Pepper. Excellent work once again.  I'm a little concerned with the newness of the operation. OTOH, they've seen us, so if thy were encouraged to settle in this spot in order to spy on travellers, we've little to lose in approaching them. Are there children?"

Reply #558
"None were observed.  There may be more inhabitants in the structures."

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #559
The little earring frightens me a little.  Of course, it's obvious Rose belongs to a well-financed organization, with members in unexpected places.  And now, I'm apparently part of it, for good or ill.

A red flower, what does it mean?  What organization (or cult) uses this symbol? 

"Is this safe to wear as an every day bauble?" I ask Rose.

"Quite," she replies, as she rises from the table.  "Or at least, any danger is marginal in comparison to climbing a mountain in pursuit of an ancient artifact."  She departs the inn's common room, moving up the stairs, without saying goodbye.

History:  you don't recognize the symbol, despite being fairly educated on these topics.  Which leads you to think that it's not big enough for you to know of it...or they're so skilled at obfuscation that you don't know about it.
Insight:  Rose seems like a nice lady!
Perception:  And pretty, too!  Albeit kind of...angular.  And daunting.

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #560
I smile sympathetically at Astra. While I don't share her distrust of ghosts I'm certainly familiar with it. Especially in Karrnath. I maneuver closer to her.

"You okay Astra? If you're feeling sad maybe your mommy could give you a hug." I gesture towards Pepper and give Astra a wink.

"You know, some of my best friends were ghosts. Eventually. They aren't all bad. It seems to depend what sort of people they were when they were alive. But we can keep an eye on Mari, and if she turns bad, well, we have a genuine cleric with us."

• oblivion
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #561
I sigh, feeling that  Rose has gotten the better of me.  The stew is filling but I'm quite hungry now that there's food in front of me.  I chase every drop of the thick broth with still-warm and wheaty bread.  Before long I head upstairs to the room I've hired for the night.  Tomorrow I'll worry about how to find a party of soldiers wandering around the countryside somewhere between here and Irontown.

I fall asleep reading the portfolio.

Reply #562
I smile sympathetically at Astra. While I don't share her distrust of ghosts I'm certainly familiar with it. Especially in Karrnath. I maneuver closer to her.

"You okay Astra? If you're feeling sad maybe your mommy could give you a hug." I gesture towards Pepper and give Astra a wink.

"You know, some of my best friends were ghosts. Eventually. They aren't all bad. It seems to depend what sort of people they were when they were alive. But we can keep an eye on Mari, and if she turns bad, well, we have a genuine cleric with us."
"Sir, that don't... beg pardon, but it don't matter what kinda people they were, not in the end," I say quietly.  "Maybe they start out fine, sure, but none of 'em can stay that way forever.  It's just how ghosts work."  I shake my head.  "She's gonna get people killed if she keeps this up," I add; the words are ambiguous, but my gaze flicks to Leatherleaf.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #563
I shrug at the comment about my rank and reach for the portfolio.  "Not cut out for the military, but it's...inescapable.  For now."

Flipping through the maps, I ask, "Where do I meet the party?"

"To the best of our knowledge they only recently left or are leaving Fort Deepdark. There are only so many places one can safely cross the lightning rail tracks with beasts of burden.  I expect they'll be making for one of these bridges - most likely this one - " she taps the map - "Unless they plan to go to Irontown first.  Were it me, I would start by attempting to intercept them at a crossing or en route to Irontown, and if unsuccessful, pursue them toward their resupply point in Lakeside."

This is something all the PCs except Mari, as soldiers posted in the area, would know.  The blue dots are permanent bridges over the lightning rail, because the lightning rail stones will fry you if you touch them.  The big blue dot directly north of Fort Deepdark is large, to permit the movement of troops and material.  The blue dot closest Irontown is large enough for supply carts. (Of course, within Irontown there are additional crossings.)  The dot in the middle is just a small footbridge, so the few people who live in the area don't electrocute themselves trying to jump over the tracks to save themselves the walk to the north or south.

• oblivion
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #564
I settle with the inkeeper, pleased that he doesn't deplete my coin as he would have this time yesterday.  The livery boy, no doubt a young relative of his, hurries off to saddle my horse.  My saddlebags bulge with iron spikes and other equipment that may come handy for delving about in the mountains.  The weight may come as a surprise to him, but my sturdy mount will do fine.

I didn't expect to find Rose again among the Inn's patrons.  Whether she is still abed or already departed, she's nowhere in sight.  After a breakfast of groats and eggs, I'm off.  Based on what I gleaned from my notes, I can take a leisurely pace.  The party of soldiers is as likely to overtake me as I am to catch up with them.

Reply #565
"So, let's go say hi," I suggest. "After all, if they do mean us harm, there's one very easy way to find out, right?"

Without waiting for a response, I start Fluffy moving towards the farm at a gentle trot.

Reply #566
"Oh, fuck me," I mutter under my breath, tugging my lizard along as I run after the ghost.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #567
As you approach, you see that the four people working on the farm are a middle-aged male and female, an older woman, and an adolescent boy somewhat younger than Astra.  He's the one on the roof.  The man, the first to see you, says, dropping his axe in surprise, "Theda.  Theda.  There's a ghost.  There's a ghost."

She turns to follow his gaze, and gawps equally, startled into silence, but holds up her axe in a reflexive defensive posture.  The boy on the barn also stares, the whites of his eyes visible even from here.

"Oh my gods," the man continues.  "What...it's a ghost.  On a horse.  A ghost horse."

Reply #568
"Hello!" I say, smiling at them. "Nice night, isn't it?"

Reply #569
Hells.

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #570
"Hello!" I say, smiling at them. "Nice night, isn't it?"

"It's talking," he says.  "Theda.  It's talking to us."

Theda brandishes her axe.

The elder makes a scoffing noise and says, "Get back," to them as she steps between the pair and Mari.  "Greetings, o undying one," she says, politely and a bit portentously.  "I am Mistress Sattler and this is my stupid family, forgive their uncouth ways.  Do you require some service?"

Reply #571
"Pleased to meet you, Mistress Sattler," I reply. "We're a group of travellers with a long journey ahead of us, and my friends could use shelter for the night. In return, I could, uh...are there any light objects you need moved? I'm good at moving light objects."

[Diplomacy: 17 + 8 + 1 = 26]

Reply #572
I catch up to Mari where she's talking to the farmers, indignant lizard behind me, and gesture a little frantically.  "It's... sorry, we was just passing by and the godsbedamned ghost - but yeah, if we could hire your barn for the night, that'd be real helpful."  After a brief pause, I blush and duck my head, adding, "Sorry, I'm Astra.  Of Atur."

[Diplomacy: 19+2+1=22]
  • Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:50:45 PM by jussr

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #573
"Pleased to meet you, Mistress Sattler," I reply. "We're a group of travellers with a long journey ahead of us, and my friends could use shelter for the night. In return, I could, uh...are there any light objects you need moved? I'm good at moving light objects."

[Diplomacy: 17 + 8 + 1 = 26]
I catch up to Mari where she's talking to the farmers, indignant lizard behind me, and gesture a little frantically.  "It's... sorry, we was just passing by and the godsbedamned ghost - but yeah, if we could hire your barn for the night, that'd be real helpful."  After a brief pause, I blush and duck my head, adding, "Sorry, I'm Astra.  Of Atur."

[Diplomacy: 19+2+1=22]

"What?  No!" cries Theda, looking over the ghost and the well-armed group.

"Hush," the older woman says, a hard tone, giving an order that is not to be disobeyed, "You three, get in the house and find these travelers something warm to eat."  She turns back to the party, and in a much politer voice says, "Of course you may use our barn.  Your beasts can be stabled below, while you rest in the haymow.  We ask only that you depart in the morning, so we may finish construction on it before the snow flies, if this is convenient for you."

Reply #574
I hesitate a moment before replying, looking uncertainly between the older woman and the others.  Are they thinking they don't got a real choice in this...?

[Insight: 10+5=15]