Skip to main content

News

• Welcome to DeepThought!  Make yourself at home!

Topic: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents (Read 589809 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: D&D Campaign Thread: Winter of our Malcontents
Reply #1175
Karlach's attention snaps back to Olegov.  "You are positive, Captain?" he asks.  "Followers only, or Thranians themselves?"

Reply #1176
"Positively the Silver Flame. But Thranians I couldn't say. Palatinate, could you place the accent?"

Reply #1177
I snap to attention. 

"Sir!  The enemy were well armed and armored and well prepared to counter our team.  They demonstrated notable resiliency and professionalism.  Foreign by accent.  Zealous in nature.  Not mere brigands, I would conjecture they are either elite mercenaries or agents of a rival state.  I do question their tactical objectives though as they left us alive to be able to have this conversation.  I have not yet made the attempt, but no doubt they can be tracked.  Sir!"

• Teshi
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1178
Seeing everybody else otherwise occupied, I pop the journal down in front of me and start leafing through it.

[Insight check on the contents: 20 + 14 = 34]

The journal is written in a casual scrawl by a single author, who doesn't give his or her name.  Some excerpts that jump out at you:

I'm sure keeping a diary is a violation of operational protocols, but I just have to write these things out to sort them out in my mind.  That's me, too big an egghead to succeed in the regular army, not a big enough egghead to get sent off to research exploding things or zombie maintenance or whatever.  The weird thing about this mission is that four of the five of us are frankly screw-ups, myself included.  It makes me uneasy.  Well, I'll burn this diary when we're done here - no one needs to know about this little lapse of judgment...

...Found out that our outlier, the only one of our little party that could honestly be described as one of His Majesty's Finest, slept with his commander's wife.  So that explains why he's here.  Why would the general potentially trust his son's life to the bunch of us?  Anastasia agrees that it doesn't add up, and that we need to watch our backs...

...We got to talking about this artifact we're after, and Anastasia admitted she'd heard of it before.  She says her uncle is into this stuff, which I think is secret code for he's an unsanctioned necromancer.  At least, I sure hope that's what it's code for, ha.  She says she used to sneak peeks at his books, and she read about this Skeleton Hand thing - it's a mythical artifact that makes a person the leader of the undead, whatever that means.  She didn't recall the details, but I can sure see why our army'd want to keep that in their own hands!...

...Anastasia and I decided to secretly write her uncle.  This whole mission is too strange, and we need some reliable information.  And I have to admit I like the idea of SOMEONE knowing we're out here.  I feel like we've already disappeared off the face of the plane.  It's only Irontown, so hopefully we'll get a reply pretty quick.  This guy's parents named him Fraedus Hellekanus, if you can believe that.  It's like they WANTED him to grow up to be a creepy secret necromancer...

...The captain thinks we're being trailed by someone.  I really hope that's just paranoia talking.  I've got second watch, so I really ought to get some sleep, but

That diary entry, the last in the book, ends abruptly.
  • Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:16:56 AM by Teshi

Reply #1179
"Uh, sirs, ma'am?" a voice interrupts, as Astra ducks her head inside the tent.  When Karlach motions her inside, she eyes Pepper hesitantly for a moment, but then continues.  "That's the tents all set up.  You said I could talk to you after, sir?"

"Proceed, Soldier," Karlach replies.

"Right," Astra says, half to herself, then nods firmly.  "Sir, I'm sorry and I don't mean to cause no trouble, but... I can't serve under no undead.  Not an unbound one, anyways."

Karlach blinks at her for a long moment.  "An undead," he states finally.  "What in Khyber are you talking about, girl?"

"I knew it was all bullshit, him saying people knew!" Astra exclaims, then as Karlach raises an unimpressed eyebrow at her, hurriedly adds, "Uh, sir.  Sorry, sir.  Corporal Valenae, sir, he's a vampire.  And he acted like he wanted to drink my blood," she adds with a scowl.

"Soldier, I have arrived here not two hours past, and certainly have not had the opportunity to review your files," Karlach says with a sigh.  "If the army has accepted an - eladrin vampire, then we have our reasons."  He appears somewhat unsure on this point, but continues nevertheless.  "And I highly doubt he has been able to keep such a thing hidden.  It is not for you to question who has been placed in command over you, mmm?  That said - if you are so determined on the matter, then leave."

"Uh - what?" Astra asks uncertainly.

"If you do not wish to serve Karrnath, then go," he repeats, reaching inside his satchel for a writing case, which he opens and takes out a sheet of paper, ink, and pen, starting to write.  "I will provide a transfer back to your previous assignment."

Astra is silent for a long, long moment; Karlach finishes writing and holds the paper out to her, raising an eyebrow.

"Right," she repeats, taking it.  "I'll just - yeah.  I'll do that."  She goes to duck out of the tent again, then hesitates.

Karlach rolls his eyes slightly, then waves her off.  "Dismissed, Soldier."

"Thank you, sir," she replies, voice a little softer than usual, then disappears out the tent flap into the night.

"Now," says Karlach, once Astra is gone.  "Where were we?  Ah, yes; you were about to tell me of this vampire under my command who may view his subordinates as provisions, yes, Captain?"

Reply #1180
I remain standing at attention, restrained during Latrine Duties whining tirade, even more restrained during the-apparently-new-commander-officer's too easy excusal.

A lashing at least.  Then a dishonorable discharge.  The army is going soft.

• Aden
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #1181
[How much time had gone past  now? I need four hours to recover completely]

Reply #1182
[Maybe two hours?  Karlach will be having the group stay the night, in any case.]

Reply #1183
"Oh, you may be dismissed as well, Palatinate," Karlach adds as an afterthought.

Reply #1184
"Sir!," I salute, then about-face and exit the tent.

I tend to the smoking pheasants, making sure they are tied up and away from the curious and opportunistic predators.  Then I make my way back to the barn with the rest of the roasted bird and sit down among the claw-foots to share a meal.

"Here.  This was probably a cousin,  Enjoy!"

Can't let this go to waste.  With the girl gone there's only three mouths to feed.

I stop and look from the vampire in repose to the resting Fondue.

Huh.  I'm going to have to watch that.

Done, I toss a pile of bones to a mount, who greedily snatches up the treat with loud crunching noises.  My muscles ache all over and fatigue gnaws, but duty and routine call me to order.  Now that I am the lone soldier in this misbegotten crew, detail and watch will fall to me.  The assets can be used towards those ends, of course, but only with supervision.  No trust, all verification.

Where has the specter gone to?

I set out to find the thing that calls itself Mari.

Reply #1185
"Now," says Karlach, once Astra is gone.  "Where were we?  Ah, yes; you were about to tell me of this vampire under my command who may view his subordinates as provisions, yes, Captain?"
"Corporal Valenae? Oh sure, he's a vampire. But you don't rise in the ranks quaffing one's compatriots."

I take a long draught of wine. "At least, not without permission. Still, it's probably best to find out if what Astra says was an idle threat or not on the part of the corporal."

Reply #1186

[Mari is hanging around outside, in plain sight.]

Reply #1187
"Corporal Valenae? Oh sure, he's a vampire. But you don't rise in the ranks quaffing one's compatriots."

I take a long draught of wine. "At least, not without permission. Still, it's probably best to find out if what Astra says was an idle threat or not on the part of the corporal."

"And the girl's suspicions that his... status was unknown?" Karlach asks, refilling Olegov's wine.  "Were you informed?"

Reply #1188

[Mari is hanging around outside, in plain sight.]

"The girl has departed.  Dismissed by the one who now commands," I say without preamble as I approach Mari, "I presume you need neither rest nor sustenance of any kind?"

Reply #1189
"I don't need sleep," I reply. "I do need to rest to recover my strength after that fight, but I'm good to keep watch through the night."

Reply #1190
"I don't need sleep," I reply. "I do need to rest to recover my strength after that fight, but I'm good to keep watch through the night."

"You fought well from what I could observe.  Your delaying tactics at the doorway helped to divide our foe's strength.  Unfortunately, they were more prepared than we ... ," I trail off for a moment, "What can you tell me of the key?  Are you bound to it?  Possess it?"

Reply #1191
"That's...complicated," I reply. "Even I don't understand it all. I'm not physically bound to it; there doesn't seem to be anything stopping me from going as far away as I like. I just don't like to. It's important I stay close to it."

Reply #1192
"And the girl's suspicions that his... status was unknown?" Karlach asks, refilling Olegov's wine.  "Were you informed?"
"I was not informed, no. We were not briefed on the composition of our company, beyond name and rank."

Reply #1193
"I was not informed, no. We were not briefed on the composition of our company, beyond name and rank."
"I see," Karlach replies.  "And Palatinate?  What did you mean about her being a lone wolf?"

Reply #1194
"I gave orders to surrender--she continued to attack the enemy, putting herself and the whole company at risk that they would reject our surrender and kill us all."

Reply #1195
"I gave orders to surrender--she continued to attack the enemy, putting herself and the whole company at risk that they would reject our surrender and kill us all."
Karlach hisses in response, grip tightening on his glass.  "Unacceptable," he says crisply.  "We have a job to do at present, but there will be consequences for her actions, Captain Olegov; you will have my support in this.  And I will make clear to her what shall happen, should such actions be repeated over the course of our mission.  In fact - is there more you wished to discuss tonight?  If not, I will bid you a good evening, and ask you to send the sergeant in to meet with me."

Reply #1196
"No, that is all, sir. Thank you for the wine. I'll send the sergeant in."

I leave the tent and come upon Palatinate and Mari in conversation. "Pardon the interruption, but the lieutenant colonel wishes to speak with you, sergeant."

Reply #1197
[lol yay, now pepper knows his rank at least, if not his name]

Reply #1198
Pardon?

"Sir!  Yes, sir!," I salute while snapping to attention.  I give Mari a "we'll continue this later look" and march to the tent.

"Sergeant Palatinate, reporting as ordered, Sir!"
  • Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 08:40:26 AM by chaoschristian

Reply #1199
"Palatinate," Karlach acknowledges, drink and food set aside as he peruses his map.  He does not look up from this study.  "Captain Olegov reports that you disobeyed orders to surrender, Palatinate.  Do you have anything you wish to say in your defense?"