Last Monday, I set out some goals for the next few months on my path to getting my novel The Gideon Effect published and some objectives for the week. Today, I look back at last week’s list, see how I did, and give myself some new assignments for the coming week.
Last week’s objectives:
- Incorporate beta reader feedback into Chapter 1 of The Gideon Effect, and revise Chapter 2 as needed. Done for the feedback I’ve received so far.
- Work out the details of the brainstorm I’ve had on one of the troublesome plot points, and add some foreshadowing to the first 3 chapters. Done for chapters 1 and 2.
- Send Chapter 2 to beta readers by Friday. Done.
- Add 2 scenes to the fairy tale story. I’ve been neglecting this project the last couple weeks. Didn’t touch this.
- Finish Carnitas recipe article for the Play With Your Food blog and publish it on or before Thursday. Done.
- Write Sourdough Rye article and publish it on or before Thursday. Done.
- Compile and post the Weekly Roundup on Friday, focusing on topics I need to become more familiar with. Done.
Networking (ongoing – some of these objectives will be renewed every week for now)
- Continue researching and identifying blogs of interest. Will never be “done”.
- Subscribe to at least 3 new blogs. Done.
- Join another online writers group and get involved. Joining is easy. Getting involved involves research and work.
- Participate in Nanowrimo Promo Friday. Done.
This is all a fair amount of effort, and I’ve found that the novel and blog are taking up so much time that I’m not making the rounds on my anthropology newsfeeds. I’d like to fix that! I read part of my backlog. Next week I want to write a blog article or two on these topics!
For this week:
- The short story will be my highest priority for the early part of the week. I’ll write 3 scenes.
- Incorporate late chapter 1 feedback and chapter 2 feedback due by the end of this week.
- Get chapter 3 ready to for the beta readers
- Write and publish an article about Lamb Curry for the Play With Your Food blog
- Write and publish an article for the “Wherein” series.
- Research, write and publish an article for the Roundup series
- Maaaaybe write an article based on something from my history/anthropology newsfeed
- Write and publish another book review on the blog, Goodreads, and Amazon. For now, I’ll continue with my process from last week. I’ll read a couple new-to-me books and choose the book I enjoyed most for the review.
- Continue researching and identifying blogs of interest.
- Subscribe to at least 3 new blogs. Document this.
- Rather than join another group this week, spend more time getting to know the AbsoluteWrite group.
- Participate in Nanowrimo Promo Friday. Further, find at least 3 opportunities to help promote others’ efforts on social media or the blog.
I’ll report back next Monday!
photo credit: ENZO’S PAPERBLANKS via photopin (license)